Stone Stuck in Kidney.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I am just home from surgery to have a 7mm stone removed from my kidney. I was previously meant to have this done on November 23rd but due to my ureter being too narrow, I had a stent placed in for the past 6 weeks. My surgeon explained when I had woken up from surgery today that the stone is kind of embedded inside my kidney and the opening to where the stone is was very narrow. Much too narrow for him to stretch with his scope and he didn't want to use lasers because it is surrounded by blood vessels and the risk of bleeding was too great. He did say there is the option to use a balloon like device to stretch the pocket where the stone is, but unfortunately it was not available at the hospital I was attending. At the moment my surgeon wants to monitor the stone with regular xrays as he is sure it won't be going anywhere as the stone is too large to get out the opening. Does this mean the stone is in my renal cortex? He also has assured me it shouldn't cause me any issues, I am just scared because I was experiencing pain and recurring uti symptoms for at least 12 months before they even discovered I had a kidney stone. If anyone has been through something similar I would really appreciate hearing how it was for you and if I should be requesting shock wave treatment to get the stone broken up so I can pass it. Many thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I was told my last stone was stuck in an awkward place to reach in my kidney, but my urologist was still able to laser it for removal. If it was causing you problems before, unfortunately I don't see why leaving it wouldn't continue to do so. I personally feel pain from non-obstructive kidney stones as do quite a few other people on here, however there are too many doctors out there that subscribe to the belief that if it isn't obstructive, it can't be causing pain. This is not true and there are studies that say so.

I would think a shockwave lithotripsy would be a good option in your situation and you should pursue it if your current doctor hasn't suggested it, even if it means going to a different urologist. If you are enduring pain and frequent UTI's, leaving the stone in place is not an option and don't let any doctor tell you that it can't be the stone causing the pain. For me, that is a clear indicator that it's time to see a different urologist because they aren't keeping up with current research/studies.

• Posted

Makes me realise how lucky I have been.

I had stones removed on 4th December keyhole surgery.

Before operation they pointed out to me that it might be tricky as I have horseshoe kidneys (joined together) and that it was a question of safety as they would be very near the liver and other organs. They said if they felt they could not gt to the stones safely they would leave them in. However the surgeon did get to all the stones and said the operation had gone better than he thought it would.

So sorry you are having to go through this.

Praying for you

Do take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.