Stones and bowel discomfort.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had the lithotripsy and I still have the symptoms of a stone being there, so I'm booked in to see the urologist in October. Now with other stones I sometimes find it I feel pain and discomfort around the perenium and also seems to make me feel like I need a peek or a bowel movement even after just going and I don't really need to go. Does anybody else get similar, I will discuss this with the urologist but not only is it uncomfortable but also a bit worrying

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If you still have some infection or damage that is still healing, your urinary tract can interpet this as making you feel as though you still need to pass urine.

There may be medication to reduce this sensation so ask your doctor about it.

Also, do continue to drink plenty to help flush away and infection and to keep your urine less concentrated.

Did the lithotripsy clear the stone? It doesn't always get rid of it in one go. What it does is to break down the stone, but the stone fragments still need to pass. Because they are now smaller fragments, they should pass more easily, but fluid will help this.

Also, take painkillers as the passing of the fragments can still give you some pain or burning sensation.

• Posted

Thanks sheffnet for your prompt reply.  I haven't been treated or checked for an infection so they might do that when I go to urology. I contacted them this morning but no appointments before mine in Oct so they have put me down for a cancellation if one comes in.  I am still drinking at least three litres a day, this means more trips to the loo at night but it's worth it.

• Posted

Sorry, I also meant to say , I don't think the lithotripsy cleared it as I only pee'd red twice after the procedure without any pain really and then everything seeme to be clear, I thought it was too good to be true, I also have to have an ultrasound before my next appointment to check.

Thanks

Ray

• Posted

Did they not tell you whether the lithotripsy had worked? They can see on the screen what is left after the session has ended.

They told me that I needed to have a second session but by the time I returned, the remnants had disappeared so I didn't need the second course.

I must have passed the remnants at some stage but I never saw anything come out nor heard any 'ping' of a stone.

I did get some burning sensation during one period and perhaps this is when the remnants passed.

• Posted

No they didn't say, he just said drink the 3 litres a day for 2 weeks and that was in April.  I've been drinking that since then, as in prevention is better than cure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.