stones in meaty part of kidney

Posted , 8 users are following.

Anyone else have this issue?? I’m in the ER once again with this awful pain and doctor must think I’m crazy because they always just scratch their heads and say unless they are in the ureter they don’t cause any pain. I’m starting to feel crazy myself trying to figure out why this is hurting me so much when supposedly it’s not supposed to.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I think two things will cause pain. One is the stone BLOCKING the ureter, and the other is if the stone has caused an infection in the kidney or the tract. These sometimes go hand in hand. That is the stone blocking the exit ramp causing inflammation at the mouth of the exit narrowing it down and creating infection and difficult urination. Are you on an antibiotic program? Have they done a CT scan to determine exact placement of the stone?
    • Posted

It is embedded in the parenchyma it is not blocking the ureter and I have no infection according to the doctor. I feel like I do..difficulty urinating pain when I have a full bladder, but I’m drinking approximately 100 ml of water every day following my uteroscopy 3 weeks ago. I just sent off a 24 hr urine collection to determine the cause of my stones. Just getting super frustrated here.
  • Posted

100ml???? that's a thimble-full... 3 weeks ago, they lasered a stone? What's the urologist's plan?

• Posted

He said it was not accessible because it was embedded in the meaty part of the kidney so there was nothing else that he could do and it would be there forever
  • Posted

Hi, sorry you are experiencing pain.

I would ask to see a separate doctor or urologist ... they told me the same thing about a lower pole kidney stone. I think they blindly accept the drivel they are taught in medical school...

I was also sent home recently after a stone was lasered in my kidney, it's the most painful thing I have ever experienced and I was sent home afterwards with instructions to take over the counter pain meds " if" I found it necessary.

I was rushed back by ambulance within a fee hours and put on exceptionally strong pain relief and iv antibiotics .

It's your body, it will let you know when something is wrong regardless of their theoretical education!!

Keep shouting until someone listens...

Hope you feel better soon .

• Posted

Wrong...get a second, third and fourth opinion if necessary.  Lots of people will tell you they have had stone pain in the kidney -- and some doctors are actually beginning to listen.   What I do know is that I have definitive twinges in my right kidney from two stones that are in there.   Why is it that doctors completely disregard overwhelming anecdotal proof - when patient after patient -- including on this forum -- reports kidney pain with stones visible in the kidney?  Finally some doctors are beginning to raise their eyebrows and wonder but it will be another twenty years before they admit it.  In the meantime thousands of people will have gone through the pain and been told it's impossible or imaginary.  Not only are they in pain but they're shamed for it!   As for solutions -- there is actually a clinical study that found that a roller coast ride will help dislodge stones.  Google 'kidney stones roller coaster'.  And there are a couple of herbal remedies you could try.  ('Stonebreaker' is a common one)  Consult an good herbalist.  

• Posted

Kidney stones can b very tricky. Trust me, I’ve had tons of them! I believe u know ur own body and I think u can have pain even if the stones are not in the ureter. The stones can actually volley back and forth out of the kidney and never start down the ureter. That causes pain. 
  • Posted

Yes you can feel pain. If in meaty part it can still release from there.

Stones are sharp when u move they do which can cause pain 

I have condition which i have to many stones to count in both and get blocked all the time and i feel pain each day. 

So your not  going crazy but doctors need to think sharp little stones will move and dig in. As i told one pick up 50 stones now rub on your kidneys area thats my life. 

Slowly doctors are getting taught 

Different that stones hurt while in kidney 

• Posted

I am having the same issue.  Diagnosed with bilateral kidney stones (2mm L & 6 mm R) and was told the stones would “pass”. That was two months ago and since then I have experienced intermittent pain (sometimes dilbiltating) on both the left and right flank, low back and right side groin) Although I reported the pain to my urologist on three separate occasions he insists that it is not from non-obstructing stones even though diagnostic scans (CT and ultrasounds) have not revealed anything else that could be problematic.  Blood work is good, etc.  I’ve only been diagnosed with the kidney stones thus far.  It’s so frustrating! Hope you get some relief soon.  

• Posted

I had pain in my kidney that I was sure had to be infection or something stone related but my stone's weren't a problem and they found no infection. I developed a hernia and it was there imaging done to look at the hernia that revealed the cause of my mystery kidney pain. They found cysts on my kidney. It was explained that while they are not harmful they do cause pain without any known reason. They recommended 800mg ibuprofen as necessary. It seems possible that you may have the same problem, it's considered very common.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.