Stones inside the kidney!!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have more than 15 stones on each kidney. They are small, like 2-3 mm. I pass 3-5 stones every year. Very painful and scary! Always thinking when the next phase will come!!! Not Fun...but the pain is a 10, if i have give it a number 1 being no pain and 10 being the worse pain ever. So, i get 10 scale pain when passing a stone and I know for sure is a stone being stuck in my uterer because i get nauseas and i vomit all the time. Now, since last sunday 8/7/16, i have been getting this weird pain in my back mimicking stone pain but i will give it a 5 on the pain scale. It wakes me up at night and i feel bloated. I burp a lot too and i feel nauseous, but its not the pain as when im passing the stone. I went to my PCP, no luck. I had low blood pressure and she said i had a virus and needed to drink more whater because i was dehydrated. Had some blood work and all came back normal. I then call my urologist, after not being able to sleep for 3 nights. They took me in and i had an ultrasound done. When i saw the provider, she said there is no blockage so the pain wasnt related to kidney stones. I asked her how come im having the same pain, in low grade ofcourse, and i feel nauseas, but its not related to kidney stones?!?! What is it then? She said, STONES INSIDE THE KIDNEY DO NOT CAUSE PAIN!!! Well, Im not sure about that. Does anyone feel the same dull pain in the back as if is a bruise or soreness together with bloated feeling?! Im starting to think that stones inside the kidney can definetly cause pain. Anyone with me?! Im only 26years old and healthy...

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had the same pain on 8/11/16 at 2am I woke up out of my sleep feeling a really sharp pain on my lower back side and it wouldn't go away. I didn't get bloated. I went to the hospital and turned out it was a kidney stone it was 2mm I was in so much pain and I did feel like vomiting. The doctor told me it will pass through my pee so I drunk so much water and kept taking my medicine. I could actually feel the stone moving from my kidney to my ureter because I could feel the pain in different places. Finally on Friday 8/12/16 around night time I kept having to pee a lot. When I went to pee it came out and I didn't feel anything at all. People told me it was painful, but it didn't hurt me until a little after it felt sore. So everyone is different it may hurt you it may not.

• Posted

Wow!!! I really feel for you. I know first hand kindey stones very much hurt when in the kidney. I went to the doctor with pain in both side. He referred me for a ct scan as i have a family history of kidney stones. He said unlikely stones in both sides with my sex and age (w/28) if stones at all?

I had a 7mm a 6mm a 5mm in the left and a 4mm and a 2mm in the right. So all in all 5 stones and I felt them. So with 15 :-( :-( :-O you will be very much able to feel them.

My urologist said some people can feel them in the kidneys some can't. Jusy depends on you. Ie. My farther never feels his till they come out but I notice way way before. Mine also sit in my kidney and don't move.

Have they spoke about removing them at all?

M x

• Posted

I too have a lot of stones. I finally had the lithotripsy done in 1998. Since the, I've only passed a very small stone this year.

I always have an aching feeling on my left side. I had an ultrasound done 2 years ago and they saw 2 stones in the left kidney. About 2 months ago I had some pain shoot around front like I was going to pass one, but never did. Now I just have almost a constant ache and sometimes a little burning when using the bathroom. It's scary to me too, because I always think I have cancer or something bad. It's just almost always there. I don't know how I can get the stone to move. I know I don't drink enough water. I'm trying to do better. Is this like what you are feeling?

• Posted

pamela43792 do you still feel pain and constant ache?  My daughter usually shows small kidney stones in images (left side) and had monthly UTIs and often SEVERE pain on the left but she isn't passing a stone.  She can't live like this and doctors just pass her around. 

• Posted

I can't help too much other than to say that the kidney has an area comprised of branched tubes that feed into one single tube leading towards the bladder.

Where the branches are, it is wider than the narrow tube leading down and there is more room there for stones to reside without causing pain. It's when they start to move down the narrow tubes that the pain kicks in.

Maybe this is what they meant?/

• Edited

I, too, have been told that a person cannot feel a stone that is in the kidney. My question to the urologist's PA was, "Then how did I know it was there before the ultrasound was taken?" Her answer was that she could only tell me what the doctors had told her and what she had learned while in school. I told her she could go back to the doctors and report that a person can, in fact, feel a stone while it is still in the kidney. That stone never passed, but the pain and discomfort did. This was a couple of years ago.

Fast forward, we are now we are in the middle of this "shelter-in-place" order (which I totally agree with) and I am feeling it again. ... Oh, wait, that's right, I CAN'T feel it ... I can't sleep, either. There are times when I move just right and I all but drop to my knees from the pain.

• Edited

I believe you are feeling what you are feeling. We need to agree that we (the medical world) doesn't always have all the answers because all our bodies are different. I also think that if all doctors and nurses had to experience kidney stones they may be more interested in helping us find resolutions. Hang in there BeeDeeLee54

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I sure get that not all the answers are out there and I don't expect doctors and others to have all of the answers. I do wish that things weren't always so cut and dry in their eyes. Again, how would a patient know they had a kidney stone, if while still in the kidney, they could feel it and experience pain or uncomfortableness. I kind of feel that perhaps they (the doctors should be asking their selves this question instead of telling the patient that it's not possible for us to feel it.

Just sayin'. 😃

• Posted

February 6th/ 2022.

Yes, I am experiencing bruising and soreness around my left kidney. Bloating as well. I have 3 kidney stones in my kidney and they are painful. They have doubled in size. I became soooo ill at work. I knew it was a stone. Saw my urologist but I was told stones shouldn't and usually don't cause pain when in the kidney. I have been sweating profusely at night with sharp pains in groin and kidney area. Back pain. Been exhausted. Never passed any on my own. They grow too large. 18-21 millimeters.( If I am using the correct unit.

Been suffering with stones since I was 1986.. Three times a year sometimes. I know how they will bring you to your knees. No position is comfortable and they love to wake you up in the middle of the night. Jstents are painful, too.

So glad to know that I am not the only one experiencing this pain. I know my body. I know when a foreign object is trespassing.

Been searching for a forum to communicate with others who understand and have gone through it as well.

Thank you and I hope this forum continues.

• Posted

i have a 9mm stone in left kidney and a few more 4 mm 5 mm in left and a few in right .

i have been in pain for over a year now , been told told the same thing ... no pain unless they are moving ... simpley not true , i have constant aches on left side bloating ... .

dont want shockwave and stent because its not one and done and the stent causes its own problems .

feel for everyone this is awful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.