stool colour change

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have suffered extreme levels of anxiety and emotional distress over the past year. About three weeks ago I started having persistent nausea and a loss of appetite. I don't think I've lost significant weigth thoughand my appetite has return now although I still feel a little discomfort in the stomach after eating.

I ended up in A&E a week ago. They did blood tests to check liver, pancreas and kidney function and for infections. They also checked blood count, glucose levels, THS, etc. All results came back normal. My GP also ordered C125 test for ovarian cancer and also for celiac disease. Results came back negative. I also had an ultrasound scan of my ovaries and the womb and everything was normal, no cyst or tumors.... For two weeks now I have passed about 5 bowel movements and the colour of the stools are still brownish but much lighter than they were before. They are soft and bulky sometimes a bit loose but no liquid diarrhea. I am really concerned about this change as when you google it you get all sorts of horrifying diagnosis. I've been also on anti-anxiety medication for two weeks now. The nausea has practically subsided but while waiting for results such as C125 I was extremely anxious and the nausea and tummy discomfort was more acute then. I am having an upper-abdominal ultrasound tomorrow and I am really struggling with high levels of anxiety as I am convinced they will find something sinister although my GP reassures me that the tests so far indicate there is nothing serious with my health.

I can't eat, I can't sleep. I cry frequently. I'm scared to death to go to the toilet in case my stools are still a lighter brown (sort of golden brown but like cardboard). My stools were dark brown before and I'm worried about this change. I have also been diagnosed with moderate depression and and I am currently waiting for CBT.

Sorry for the long email but I am extremely anxious and my appetite is gone again.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tuesday1 

You worrying about what is going to happen tomorrow will make you not wont to eat  and also not to sleep so please try not to worry to much. I know this is easier said than done but you could try having little naps in the day and maybe watch a favourite DVD. I also think if there was anything seriously wrong your doctor would have done something sooner. What is CBT?  Take Care and I hope all goes well tomo.smile

• Posted

Thank you Angela. I was diagnosed with moderate depression last April a d Im currently on a waiting list for CBT. I tend to worry about things excessively especially about health and cancer. Googling things in search for reassurance does the opposite as you end up worrying even more. I've had a tough year dealing with a lot of pressure and anxiety due to other issues. I feel now tbat Im at cracking point and that I cant take it anymore and now this worry. Thanks for your advice.X
    • Posted

Sorry. CBT is cognitive behaviour therapy. They try to counteract negative thoughts with positive thoughts in the belief that this can change your emotions or the way you feel.
  • Posted

Hi Tuesday, 

I am so sorry to hear you're suffering,  I unfortunately don't completely understand what you're going through, I am alternating between constipation and diarrhea but I can sympathise with the misery. I too am suffering from depression as a direct result to my condition,  one particular symptom of mine is associated with cancer and yet the doctors are convinced I am fine and won't do any tests to confirm either way.

The only advice I can give you is to stay strong and keep fighting, you know you're body and if you feel something is wrong then don't stop fighting until you get taken seriously. In the meantime,  keep a food diary, keep a note of your symptoms and any exercise taken. Also make a note of any particular stresses of that day. Your head and your bowels are linked and if you try to relax (trust me easier said than done!) Your symptoms should decrease a little. 

Try to do things that relax you and deal with what you can, you can eat healthily you can deal with anxiety. I too am struggling to eat, given that everything has a negative effect. Try and eat very small things and often, having a little bit of food will give your body a fighting chance when dealing with the condition and anxiety. 

I hope you get the answers you need and soon but until then try to remain positive :-) here for support if you need it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.