Stool softeners

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm using Dulco ease 4 times a day. I know I can't stay on them long term. Could anyone recommend a stool softener that is affective but safe to use.

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I use movicol twice a day, been using them for about 3 months now. Stools are always soft. Says on the label for long term use 1-2 times a day, but even if it didn't we don't have any other choice anyway really.

• Posted

No problem. Just to note. Its movicol in the UK not sure in other countries. Also if in the UK movicol is basically the most expensive version of the stool softeners. My doctor now won't prescribe anymore Movicol and instead has offered an ongoing prescription of another cheaper stool softener. I don't want to risk the change incase it affects me and sets me back a few weeks, so sticking on the movicol.

• Posted

They are basically the same thing I think but not sure of exact differences, I have only heard anecdotal messages about some working different to others, more here: https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/macrogol/

I wanted to stick with Movicol as it has always worked well with no affects at all. The other one I was offered was cosmocol. Basically I'd probably try the cheapest or easiest to get, if it works well then stick to it. I just didn't want to change from movicol as I'd been on it for a long while and was worried, maybe wrongly, about changing and it causing a big set back/different affects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.