Stool starts OK but then goes mushy?

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi, just a quick question, hope someone can give an opinion (first got IBS at 15, it continued mildly into my 20's. Almost 40 now and have mild bouts once in a blue moon). 

Can you tell me if fairly typical for IBS bowel movements to start out normally (as in shape and consistency) but then get rather runny/mushy for the last portion of the stool?

Essentially, I'm having a stool of two halves. The first half is OK but then I feel as if the rest of it is going to come out like mush, and it does. 

The only recent dietary change I've made is that I have started drinking warm water with a tablespoon of lemon juice or a lemon slice before bed. Previously I used to have a small glass of milk or tea. 

Thanks for any help. 

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

WITH IBS - BOWEL MOVEMENTS apparently can take any form possible.

In my case I will have bowel movements then just when I believe I'm okay my stomach will begin to generate gas, bloating & what not. IT IS INCOMPLETE EVACUATION which can go on all day. No matter how much comes out - you still feel you have to go again & again.

Yes. Your stool can change too. You can start out with a hard stool but by the time you are finished it can become very soft. Borderline Diarrhea.

• Posted

Thanks for the response. Yes the half normal/half runny stool is what I'm experiencing. I've always had it here and there and have previously heard it's a very typical IBS stool. 

• Posted

That sounds familiar to my experience, constantly needing to evacuate! And it just less and less each time, for someone that doesnt eat a lot, i dont know how i can produce so much! I dont know if that is the incomplete evacuation thing? that no matter how much you go, you keep needing to go.....

• Posted

That's really informative, I have wondered about this for years. I don't feel I have completely evacuated until I get the mushy cow pat at the end.

• Posted

i am like that do you find the last bit messy and need lots of toilet paper?

• Posted

I would go back to taking milk or tea.  Sometimes dietary changes can affect IBS. If your recent changes of bowel habit started after you changed your diet, this may be the cause.

Lemons are acidic and may have upset your intestine.  Milk is more alkaline and soothes the stomach.  I haven't had this type of bowel habit change.  With me it is constipation or loose.  However, everyone is different.

• Posted

Thanks Pippa

I have always had a stool like this now and again but has been a bit more consistent this past month. I'll stop the lemon water and see if it helps. I didn't really want to start milk again, I guess just plain boiled water would be OK. 

• Posted

Was the milk causing a reaction?  Taking a lot of water may be softening your stools too much.  Maybe cut down on this.  I would still just go back to what you were doing before if your stools were not like this previously.
    • Posted

No, nothing that I'd noticed, I just didn't want milk anymore for other reasons. But I think I will just experiment to see what happens. 

That being said I have had perfectly normal stools within the time of starting the lemon water, too, so it might just be a coincidense. 

• Posted

That's the challenge with IBS; everything is trial and error.

• Posted

When I have an IBS attack this description is very fitting. I remember having to describe it to a doctor and as a walker the only description which sprung to mind was cow pat.  I know disgusting.  I started having this problem about 5 years ago and never really resolved it.  I am better than I was and I think reducing my bread intake helped and I only eat wholemeal bread now. I gave up milk for a while but seemed to make me even worse so I have started having the occasional tea.  When I am stressed this is worse so I definitely think for me stress plays a major part and I have been lucky as I have had a temporary contract renewed but I was so bad for a while that every day involved a 3 hour loo break so I obviously had to give up work.  I am much better since that time so there is hope.  Also if I want a snack I used to biscuits and still like the occasional biscuit but I eat more good stuff like carrots and celery as a snack. I also exercise more and try to walk about 20 miles a week.  I think a mixture of all this has helped but definitely avoiding peak traffic jams is much better for me. Also I am never ill at the time of the stress but always a day or 2 days later but I think it must be related.  I wish there was one cure but believe it to be more trial and error.
    • Posted

I noticed your post, how you say at the times of stress, you dont get symptoms, only a day or 2 after, thats how mine seems to go, so i never connected it, and thought it was odd, but maybe its an after effect? i do hold a lot of stress and anxiety internally, and dont really have a way to release it via a hobby or some form of release.....

• Posted

PS I see comments on water.  My view on this I am strangely better when I drink more water.  When I was at my most ill and suffered terribly with explosive emissions it was before I even realised there were benefits to water as drunk hardly any so for me water is a benefit.  Water in those days came from the juice of fruit used in cocktails.  Also apart from Christmas I am virtually teetotal now. I break this rule for Christmas but the rest of the year I try to do without it.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear about your struggles. As for water, I know people who are constipated need to keep well hydrated to help with smoother bowel movements. I'm not constipated and don't drink in excess of 6-7 200ml glasses of water per day. I am aware though, the lemon water is often recommended to boot a slugglish colon up the bee-hind, and wondered if it is causing this effect on me given that my BM's aren't sluggish to start with. 

• Posted

This has been me for the past 6 weeks . Last week I had as close to normal bowel movements since everything has started. Went to Gastro he gave me some antibiotics said maybe IBS for couple of weeks haven't started since I got better but today it started again . Grrrrrrrr .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.