Stool starts OK but then goes mushy?

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi, just a quick question, hope someone can give an opinion (first got IBS at 15, it continued mildly into my 20's. Almost 40 now and have mild bouts once in a blue moon). 

Can you tell me if fairly typical for IBS bowel movements to start out normally (as in shape and consistency) but then get rather runny/mushy for the last portion of the stool?

Essentially, I'm having a stool of two halves. The first half is OK but then I feel as if the rest of it is going to come out like mush, and it does. 

The only recent dietary change I've made is that I have started drinking warm water with a tablespoon of lemon juice or a lemon slice before bed. Previously I used to have a small glass of milk or tea. 

Thanks for any help. 

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have all the symptoms of IBS, especially in the early mornings where my stomach doesn't feel quite right and I have to head to the bathroom, normally with a loose stool.  My doctor suggested 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed sprinkled over just about anything I eat (yogurt, cereal, salads, etc), about twice a day.  (Wally Mart carries this in the grocery section).  After a week and to my utter surprise, my morning stomach pain is barely noticeable and my stool is much firmer.  BTW, flax seed is also good for the heart plus other benefits.  This is the first time in five years I've felt close to normal, and thought someone else could benefit from this.

• Posted

I'm new to this discussion. I get pain befor bowel movement. Then poo can be quite normal then loose like cow pat then really runny .pain goes after I've emptyed my bowels .Having colonoscopy tomorrow dose this sound like your symptoms .

• Posted

Temporary relief of pain after a bowel movement and change of bowel habit are IBS symptoms.  My symptoms started with recurrent constipation, constant, shifting abdominal pain, loose stools or diarrhoea, back pain and nausea.
    • Posted

I have had IBS for three years.  It comes and goes. Stress sets it off and Buscopan and nurofen help a lot.  Largely, I have been in remission.
  • Posted

Hello all! I just registered to ask a question. I do have similar symptoms mostly lately. Also, recently I was diagnosed with IBS, but I had it all through my life. My question is f anyone of you also experiences hypertension after their bowel movement especially in the morning noting it is not constipated no need to effort during.

thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.