Stool test revealed Dientamoeba fragilis parasite HELP

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had so many problems over the last six months and finally my dietitian who ordered my stool test said it revealed I have a parasite called Dientamoeba fragilis.

There is limited info on the net but from what I have read it can be eradicated through antibiotics or either a natural, hermal remedy.

Have any of you ever been diagnosed with this? How did you treat it and was it successful?

I've also read that many doctors don't take it too seriously. Apparently many people have it but it's only the unlucky few who get symptoms. Well, if this is what has called my digestive hell over the last six months I want it gone! For good!

Also, the posts I've read are that many people who are fobbed off with ibs diagnosis are more than likely to have a parasite which leads to all sorts of food sensitivities, pain, strange bowel movements so if your problems have come on suddenly like mine I suggest that you go and get a comprehensive stool test. They're not cheap but worth the piece of mind. 

5 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, what were the signs and symptoms you specifically had?I too had my stool test and it showed that i have that i have this bacteria H. Pylori.I have been through hell with my tummy.I have had such a bad gas problem that has sulphur smell all the time and immediately after food i start passing gas.I have taken antiboitics two times and they do not seem to help out.The next check is in july and they said it its still there they will do further check ups.
    • Posted

Hi Winnie- sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with the H. pylori which has a reputation of being hard to get rid of at times.  There are 2 drugs that the bacteria is beginning to get resistant to and they are Clarithromycin and methronidazone so if you used them, try to switch to something else.  One blogger mentioned that in France he was able to get a drug called Pylera which is tetracycline, a less common antibiotic.

Has the doc mentioned to you that you might be getting reinfected by someone else?  Some people have no symptoms and are unaware they have HP and go around giving it to other people. Do you share living space or have friends or relatives over? 

Others that may be carriers are cats, horses sheep, ferrets, pigs which  carry a kind of HP that is transferable to humans.   Dogs also have a version of it, but it doesn't usually transfer to people. 

Here are some ideas to minimize problems while taking antibiotics  -

avoid sugar, avoid eating foods for which you have food allergies. Take a good quality probiotic that has friendly bacteria for the stomach,  small intestine and large intestine. Yogurt by itself usually only takes care of the small intestine friendly bacteria.

I doubled up on them  when on antibiotics.  When not on anitbiotics some people use mastic gum to get rid of the pain.  It is not a cure, nor are probiotics.

• Posted

Thank you so muites ch for this helpful information.Today i to some test for parasites too and waiting for the next check up.Does probiotics haokve any side effects?

I ordered one one 15 billion probiitic online and it should here soon. 

• Posted

You might have a little gas but your digestive system will feel a lot better and it elimates the bloating.  It took me about 4 days to notice a big difference.  Just make sure what you bought covers friendly bacteria for the stomach, small intestines and large intestines.  You may find these syllables in parts of longer words and that's ok.  I was having to use borage oil- anti-inflammatory until the probiotics kicked in but now I feel like a normal person again. I don't know if the HP is out of my system or not, but will be going in for a test.   Probiotics tend to push back against the HP to some degree but won't elimiate it.  Also am drinking a tumeric and ginger tea offered by a company.  The tumeric has a slight antibiotic ability and the ginger settles the stomach. I am taking liquid Tumeric drops in my mouth to clear up the slimy feeling there as HP climbs up the throat and researchers have found it in dental plaque.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.