Stools are weird

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys

Its hard to start these out without giving my whole story every time, but I will try to sum it up:

- Problems with recurring upper central abdominal pain since 2009.

- Pain is centralized, but seems to radiate FROM under right ribs.

- Pain used to last 4-12 hours 

- Attacks began to happen more and more frequently. Started once a year in 2009, now its once a month. 

- Pain has gotten less and less over the years

- No back pain, no nausea, no vomitting. But after an attack I am tender under the right ribcage for up to 24 hours.

- If I drink Apple Cider Vinegar during an attack, the pain will go away after 20-40 minutes. 

- Stools started to act a little weird after a couple of years from the first attack. Didn't think much of it. But now they are too weird to not notice.

- I seem to have developed problems with eating too many fats in one sitting too.

- I have had 3xUS of abdomen, Colonoscopy, Endoscopy and bloodwork. All came back negative. No issues according to the tests. 

Alright but here is the thing. Over the past 6 months or so, my stools have really changed for the worse. Started out being mainly yellow and loose. Now they are a combination of very hard/loose but pale in color, like clay. Rarely a little yellow, but 95% of the time pale/yellow. 5% light brown. 

I believe I have a gallbladder problem, but I feel somewhat fine when I dont have an attack. Stools are weird all the time though! Doctors cant figure out what is wrong with me! 

Its so frustrating. Im scared to walk around with a bileduct obstruction if thats the problem, but according to the ultrasound, I am fine... 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Tomjohn!  Sorry to learn you're having these difficulties.  It seems to me that the ultrasounds aren't sufficient enough.  The clay colored stools can be evidence of problems with the system that comprises your liver, gallbladder and pancreas.  Ultrasounds don't always show stones or blockages because they often don't reveal sludge-like substances, a CT scan would show it better.  There is also a hida scan, which can indicate if your gallbladder is functioning properly.  Not everyone will have the textbook gallbladder symptoms. I would suggest you see a gastroenterologist, who might me more amenable to finding out what's wrong.  Have they done liver function tests?  Please let us know how you do! 
    • Posted

Hi Lynda! Thank you for your reply.

I have seen a gasterinterologist who did endoscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasound and bloodwork. He refered me to another ultrasound as well.

He says it sounds like a GB problem, but cant find any evidence for it. 

Liver function test is bloodwork right? Because I have had bloodwork regarding the liver, and it was normal too. 

• Posted

Hi, Tomjohn.  I would suggest that you google your symptoms.  There are several other conditions that could cause what you have.  Your gastroenterologist should be trying to find out what's wrong, not telling you there isn't any evidence. No offence, but he sounds lazy and not too concerned for your well-being.  It seems as if he's waiting for you to become very ill so your symptoms will be more pronounced.  You can live without your gallbladder, but not your liver or your pancreas.  I would suggest you get another gastroenterologist as soon as you can. Also, you owe it to yourself to find out how your body works and become familiar with it, including the blood tests and other tests that they run so you can advocate for yourself.  As you can tell from this site, the doctors won't do it for you. The people on this site can offer some knowledge, comfort and encouragement, but none of us can take the place of a competent caring doctor who is determined to work with you to help you get well.     
    • Posted

I have been refered to the gastroenterologist unit at another hospital now. I hope they will do an MRCP or an EUS at least. I am going there next week to figure out whats next. 

The wait is annoying, even though I feel good (other than my stools being weird) on a day to day basis. Im only in pain during an attack. But the constant weird stools are the big worry for me. 

Loose/Hard rarely normal.

Pale/Yellow rarely brown. 

• Posted

Hi, Tomjohn!  Well, I'm breathing a sigh of relief for you already!  confused  Please let us know how you do, okay? Best of luck!
  • Posted

I had GB removed. The attacks were so painful I was rushed to the ER . 

I think Lynda said it very well. It time to see a gasterinterologist.

• Posted

Your story is similar to mine dealing with episodes 8 yrs now I get pain more often and bm started to change yrs ago-now it's always mush or in attacks yellow d. I have had sludge for 2 yrs but may have pancreas issues too. If bm is normal consistency I wouldn't worry

• Posted

Consistency is not normal. However, both color and consistency has improved greatly after I started supplementing with probiotics. Pain still occurs in episodes though.
  • Posted

I have noticed my BMs have gotten alot better in color and also somewhat in consistency when I supplement with probiotics.

I have now been refered to a CT scan, but there is a 2 month wait...

• Posted

Sorry to learn that you've such a long wait for your CT scan!  Best of luck with that, and please continue to let us know how you're doing!

• Posted

Hi Tom!  Any news yet on what is causing these attacks?

I hope they found a reason and you are on your way to feeling better.

BeBe

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.