Stop Amitryptaline Cold Turkey

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have decided tp go off amitryptaline cold turkey. Starting tonight. I know the withdrawals are going to be horrendous, but I want to push through them, so I can be chemical free. Wish I'd never started them! Any one out there stopped taking amitryptanol successfully?

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi I've been on them 3 weeks and past few days ive been getting pains in my chest and more anxiety I'm also on citalopram which I've been on for 4 months now. They gave me amitriptyline for my headaches which has helped but I don't really want to be on another anti depressant Aswell. Do you get bad effects coming of them then ?? X
    • Posted

Hi hollie,

I have tried before, also have researched withdrawal stories and know that it can be very difficult to try and come of them. I can understand why you don't want to go on another antidepressant. I think you are wise with that choice. Sorry to hear you suffer from headaches and anxiety. Surely there is another way to get treatment than amitryptanol. Wishing you healing!

• Posted

Hello. Thanks for the reply. Been shaking a lot today and had chest pains past few days. Would it effect me if i stopped them now as only been on them 3 weeks but been on citalopram 4 months x
    • Posted

Just saw your post. What did you decide?

It sounds like they are causing more pain than good. It does take a while for them to 'kick in' though. I am not a doctor, but I would discourage the use of this drug-! I believe it is not too late to stop taking them.

I am on day 4 without amitrip. Feeling tired and everything is a bit blurry- but I'm not as zombified as I would be if I were still on them. hoping to get my mental balance back.

• Posted

I have only been on a small dose 10-30mg for daily headaches, and stopped them suddenly when I found my vision was blurred, to see if it got better. I had no 'cold turkey' at all. If you rely on them to sleep then I suppose you might find that difficult but I don't think that withdrawal symptoms are a problem. What are you taking them for, what dose and how long?
    • Posted

Thanks gpgp, 

That news is heartening. I have been on 10-50mg off and on for the last 5 years or so. I just came out of rehab to get off valium, lovan and they put me on a dose of 50mg for the last 3 weeks. I wanted to get off the amitryptanol, but the psychiatrist recommended I stay on them to avoid anxiety. I realise it was excessive amounts of CAFFEINE that caused panic attacks.

It's interesting that you ask if I use them for sleep, because that IS what I use them for. I don't believe I am depressed.

Thanks for your reply :-)

• Posted

It's day one and I slept well (with the help of melatonin) so I guess that's not 'cold turkey'. I am feeling O.K, although I had the strangest dreams. BTW I am posting from Australia so it's nnow morning :-)
  • Posted

Yeh Caasmac, I dream a lot on Amitrip but not really scary. I am slightly unusual in that even 30 mg does not make me sleepy at all anyway.
  • Posted

Day 4 without amitriip. I am feeling tired, so catching snatches of sleep where I can. Not feeling as anxious as I thought I would be. Just foggy and tired. Determined to push through this. Sick of chemicals! The body is readjusting its nervous system and re-booting the natural seratonin. 
  • Posted

Hi,I'm on amitripyline for headaches,didnt work so I am reducing 25mg at a time for 4 weeks each time, I'm only up to 50mg and for only 10 weeks, first couple nights bad dreams but now ok,I have done cold turkey with gabapentin before and can say that if your bodys used to the medication and you've taken it for a long time then cold turkey I assure you will be hell and I sit here now crindging at the thought of you doing this but we're all different ,the thing I would do is tell someone when you start as they know then to ring the dr if theres a problem,good luck
    • Posted

Thanks Duracell Dave.,

I appreciate your empathy and wishes of good luck. As you say everyone is different. I can't say I am having a great time but fortunately I have a couple of weeks up my sleeve to push through this. thanks for your advice as well. I have told a few people.

• Posted

Day 5 since ceased taking amitryptanol. Feeling foggy, sensitive, needed to take melatonin to help me sleep. Am still relatively functional. Not feeling suicidal, or having panic attacks. I was anticipating worse...maybe it is yet to come. Feel a craving for the amitryptanol which is weird but understandable. Luckily I can stay at home for a couple of weeks while the drug leaves my system.
  • Posted

I've been in 10 mg 5 weeks now. Would I be ok if I stopped them ?? I'm also on 20mg citalopram x
  • Posted

Should be no problem if you want to.
    • Posted

I'm on them for headaches just hate being on 2 lots of tablets and they make me so tired x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.