stop smoking while fighting anxiety

Posted , 4 users are following.

Please can anyone tell me if they have tried or even managed smoking while battling anxiety.

i stopped for 9 yrs but started smoking again about 3 yrs ago. I have been struggling with severe depression and anxiety over the last 6 months. I am smoking far to much lately. Can stop smoking cause more anxiety. I need to stop cause i have high blood presure and take bloodthiners because i have had thrombosis twice about 6 yrs ago.

i stopped smoking from 1 day to the other last time and that is how i would like to try again.

just not sure if this could caue more anxiety.

please let us know. I want to stop a.s.a.p.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I'm a smoker but I realise that when I have a cigarette it can make me feel worse an exacerbate my symptoms. I didn't have a ciggie for 3 days last week and I cut right down to the equivalent of 3/4 a day. I do want to quit anyway but need to be mindful of withdrawal symptoms from that on top of anxiety.
    • Posted

Thanks for your quick reply. I smoke well over 20 a day and eventhough it makes me feel worth i just keep on smoking. 3anna stop suddely but dont know if thats a good idea. Might try it anyway
    • Posted

When you feel you want one just distract yourself and physically get up and do something else. Count each hour without and tell yourself you'll do another hour and keep extending it. If you do cave in just take a couple of puffs and put ciggie out. This helps me. Let me know how you get on.
    • Posted

Thank you so much. I will give it a go and will let you know.thanks again 👍
    • Posted

Good Luck. I'm now 3 hours without today and font need or want one. I'll let you know how it's going in a couple more hours!! Be strong. We can do this.
    • Posted

i hope you dont mind me joining this discusion i have suffered health anxiety for years and would really like to stop smoking as well x
    • Posted

You're very welcome Redmarigolds. Perhaps we can all do this together?
    • Posted

thanks i will finish this packet 5 legt see how i go my anxiety is more under control at the moment good luck evryone x
  • Posted

Y'all are way stronger than me. I try to do things that keep my hands busy to not smoke as much, but nerves get the best of me. I am very proud of all who can quit. I am just not there yet. Good luck all!! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.