Stop telling me to exercise!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I used to be a competitive body builder 30 years ago until the fatigue had me falling asleep on the equipment. My point is I am not  afraid of exercise but FM has depleted my energy and created pain.   Most of the time I feel like I am fatigued and achy like I have the flu, yet my doctor and others have told me I need to exercise, I would love to see them exercise while they are in the midst of a bad flu! The problem is,  I feel like this 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time I feel like I am just a tired zombie. They tell me to lift weights again or go swimming. WTF? Go do that yourselves next time you have a bad case of the flu! I was in better shape than any of these nimrods before I got FM and loved exercising. I want to tell them all to go F off!!

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I know what you mean. I was dancing and exercising then one day I woke up in agony and it was all I could do to get out of the bed. I haven’t been diagnosed with fm but a lot of my symptoms seem to fit. I have to work as I live by myself and everyday is an effort. The gp said just ignore the pain and get on with what you usually do. I wish I could. Then she says you’re depressed. No I’m not I’m just p****d off that you’re not listening or helping me. I’m angry and frustrated that I can’t do the things I want but all they want to do is give me anti depressants.
  • Posted

Hi penelope53967

My name is Catherine and I too have fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed in November last year. Total shock!

I also exercised daily 7 days a week, running 3 times a week for at least 4 miles and brisk walking twice a day with my dogs. I collapsed at work after feeling really dizzy and not able to speak properly. I couldn't get the words out. Luckily I was a HCA at a medical practice so the Dr was called in I ended up being on the couch for 2 hrs and no was at stroke levels so ambulance called.

This was in May last year and have not been able to work since due to chronic fatigue, flu like aches and pains, headaches, shortness of breath on exertion, high blood pressure, stiffness, memory is a problem have to write everything down. I also suffer with pins and needles and tender points on my body, chest pains too!! Fall asleep at the drop of a hat and feel as if I have a suit on that is filled with lead weights. The joy of it all and i am only 46!

I was diagnosed with grade 1 diastolic dysfunction in August last year and then November the fibromyalgia. I saw a neurologist in December who order 22 tests on blood and an MRI of my brain. I am due to see him next week.

It is extremely distressing and although I am a positive person and determined this isn't going to beat me it auitenoften does and end up exhausted unable to do anything!!

Are you getting any physiotherapy to help and have you been diagnosed by a rheumatologist??

I wish you luck and hope you start to improve

Keep in touch

catherine34515

• Posted

When I started to get sick over 15 years ago the FIRST thing I noticed was I went out dancing with friends and was completely winded after 1 dance. Less than two months later we all got bikes for Christmas and I about died from exhaustion after trying to go up a fairly calm hill. I was strong as an Ox and had horses most of my life. I could lift 100 lbs when needed and 50 lb regularly. I worked on my feet 12 hour days and thought nothing could pull me down. Within a few months I went from that strong 25 year old to someone needing a wheelchair or walker outside the home. No treatment in all these years has helped and PT makes it worse. 
  • Posted

Oh bless you Penelope, as a sufferer of FM I know exactly how you feel and I can barely get out of bed on a bad day, let alone exercise.  

Could I ask, have you officially been diagnosed with FM, I had a very supportive GP who referred me to a Rheumatologist and it was only after extensive tests ruled out anything sinister, that FM was diagnosed.  x 

• Posted

I know they just don't understand and don't get how much we would love to be active again

• Posted

From personal experience, exercise makes FM worse. While I was doing PT, we are talking just light pool work for a small amount of time my pain got so bad I finally quit and it go a lot better. My Rhumatologist thinks the only thing that will help me is exercise too. I think she is clueless and only see her for maintenance now. Then again she doesnt think my symptoms fit FM when everything I see and other doctors said I do, just a very bad case of it. I cannot stand or walk long and use a wheelchair, walker and mobility scooter.
  • Posted

I was a gymnast in my youth and more than normal active adult until FM. 

Now I want to live my life in bed!

• Posted

I did for the first almost 2 years I was sick. If I wasnt in bed I was on the couch or a chair. For whatever reason I now am in more pain BUT the CFS part of FM is mostly gone. Since I cannot manage my pain I am not sure which is better wink For me I think its the pain since its difficult but I can push through it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.