Stopped Atenolol and died

Posted , 2 users are following.

My husband and i have been taking Atenonol for 3 months and my husband wanted to stop it. I read on the web that you cannot stop it suddenly so we checked with our physician and he said it was ok to stop because we were only on a low dose . Three days later my husband died of a heart attack. Was this a coincidence or was it the Atenonol?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'm so sorry for your loss. You need to get another doctor as the one you have is an uncaring moron.

My doctor prescribed me Atenolol (25mg) and I was only able to tolerate it for 2 days. my blood pressure dropped down to 96/54 and my heart rate would never go over 64. As a result I always felt weak, tired, lightheaded, and shortness of breath.

So he's taking me off of it but slowly. I'm supposed to take half a dose for 3 days then 1/4 the dose for another 3 days before stopping it. And that's only after taking it for 2 days, yet you're supposed to quit cold turkey after 3 months? That makes no sense.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.