stopped Fluoxetine after 5 days,awful side effects.1 week later & still ill

Posted , 49 users are following.

I was on 20mg for 5 days. On the 4th day I was completely hyper,bad dreams,sweating,uncontrollable shaking which ended in an awful panic attack which I had never had before. 2 days later after another attack I ended up in A&E and apparently its a bad reaction.

Anyway I've been off them 6 days now and not feeling much better-nausea,dreams,anxiety,sweating. After taking them for such a short time shouldn't these side effects have stopped now? Thank you

2 likes, 151 replies

151 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I need help...

I have been on a low dose of fluoxetine and I've been taking it for two weeks and I was wondering, should I see my doctor before I stop taking it because it makes me feel not like myself I feel like a robot. I feel like I have no emotions, I keep waking up every night at the same time and my mom thinks it's me getting off of my birth control but this started the day I started taking it. My doctor diagnosed me with general anxiety and I told him I wasn't comfortable taking an anti depressant because the last one I took made me feel sick. I want to take clonazapam because I know it helps a lot better than what I've been getting. How are you getting through this? I don't know what to do...

• Posted

Hello Amy,

I have been taking fluoxetine medium dose (40 mg) for more than a year and I feel zero depression symptons and zero side-effects. So don't give up on that prospect of a very good outcome!

Having said that, my second week on Fluoxetine 20 mg was the worst week of my life. I had terrible nights, days, cries, side-effects. In summary, it was nearly unberable. 

From the second week on the side-effects subsided very very slowly, but the depression per si took more than a month of Fluoxetine use to diminish. In fact, I reach the point where I could clearly say "I have no depression symptons and not side-effects" after three months on Fluoxetine (40 mg by that time) and on Bupropion together to counter-balance the sleepness that Fluoxetine brought to me.

Another information that will help you a lot in my opinion: there are literally hundreds of medication approach to tackle depression, as there are dozens of medications that have been succesfully tried to fight depression (and anxiety, they are usually treated in very similar ways) and hundreds of combinations of those medications (and dosages) to achieve the best outcome. (For example, only one third of moderate to severe depressed patients will achieve total remission using a single strategy).

• Posted

Hi Claire, Hope you're all ok and happy now. Did you take any other medications again, if so, how did you get on? I was on and off flu for around 20years and came off 3-4 years ago. Sadly had a year of hell so went on them again stupidly for a week, well  never ever again! Suffered terribly with sickness, gi issues, insomnia, panic, agitation, rapid heart rate, no appetite, no energy whatsoever! Been off for 3 days now and still suffering! How long was it until you felt reasonably ok? Thanks, Nicki, xxx.

• Posted

Hi Claire. I know it was over a year ago you posted this. And I hope your ok now. I'm having the exact same problem., I took fluoxetine for 5 days and had such a bad reaction, drowsy,dizzy,headaches,sick feeling. Anxious about nothing, muscle pains, insomnia and I can usually sleep for England. Only having 3 hrs sleep a night, that's been for a week now. I have panic attacks and bad tremors. I didn't have any of this before going on the fluoxetine. I've now been off them 4 days and still having all these problems. Does your body go back to normal or how normal it was before the meds. How long did it take you to recover from these symptoms?n did you recover?

• Posted

How long did it take for you to feel better after stopping? I stopped on day 4.
    • Posted

Hi. It took about 3 weeks. Still left with a muzzy head and headaches odd days. Doctors won't blame the medication though. They won't when they make multimillion from them. Theres some tablets called 5htp, natural/herbal serotonin and melatonin, I'm gunna give these a whirl, the reviews are good, I'm no doctor but I'm sure a natural source is better for you than chemically made. I'm not advising on taking them, that's just my next step, i'll take a low dose and see how it goes. I hope you get well soon, just shows how many peoples been like this from this medication. Anti d's just don't agree with me had the same problem with citalapram, I suppose tablets aren't for every one.

• Posted

Well it's been over three days since I stopped feel slightly better but I just want to be able to go to work and not be so dizzy and out of it

• Posted

hi i was wondering what side effects u had after stopping prozac and how long after u had the syptoms i took prozac for 4 weeks horibble anxiety diarreha vomiting nausea so i stopped now iam having nausea i feel more anxious only been off for 6 days i wanna hear and see what ur outcome wss
  • Posted

Just wanted to add my experience to this thread. I had been on fluoxetine (started at 20mg and tapered up to 40mg) for about 3 or 4 months and decided to stop because I missed a few doses and I had been feeling a lot better. Then the depression came back so after 2 months off i decided to starting medication again and stupidly i went straight back on to 40mg for about 3 days, then thought that's probably not a good idea and I missed a dose so I reduced my dose to 20mg for the next couple of days.

The next day I woke up feeling awfully shaky and dizzy and with the worst anxiety ive had for 7 years and like I couldn't breathe properly. I stopped the medication immediately but this feeling lasted for about a week and a half. It's been two weeks since then and I'm only feeling slightly calmer, I'm still feeling a bit dizzy and very anxious. Like I'm constantly on the verge of passing out. I started cbt yesterday for my anxiety and I hope this won't last much longer

• Posted

I know these are all old messages but I am going through the symptoms as I write. I started taking fluoxetine 10 days ago and on the 8th day woke up and was sick. I felt terrible for the day and decided I was not going to take them anymore. 3 days later and the symptoms are pretty much as described by others on here. I am still wondering if I actually have a virus as that is what it feels like. It is hard to believe that 8 tablets can have this effect. It is unbelievably awful, to the point of frightening. I have not eaten properly for 3 days, and I mean not properly. Quite honestly I am very scared.
  • Posted

Hi everyone. I just wanted to add my own experiences and piggy back on what everyone else has been experiencing. I was put on 10mg of Prozac last week and found it very agitating. Vs e me worse anxiety, so I stopped and wrnt right back on my celebs that I was on in november. After 1 day I had panic attacks all day long, chills, hot/cold flashes, couldn't eat anything last night and I can barely sleep. Now today is day 2 and I still had panic attacks. I slept pretty well last night but not long after I woke up and the panic started. Granted I have anxiety to begin with, but this is completely ridiculous. I'm used to the occasional panic attack, not this. I'm hoping that with the addition of my celebs again and no Prozac that this settles down quickly. I was supposed to start a new job this week and I can't even go. Thank God I worked for them before and I told them I have the stomach flu.

Anyone else feeling better? How long did it take?

• Posted

Hello Sabrina.

I am into my 4th day of finishing 20mg (only took them for 8 days). It has been hell. Only just started eating nearly properly today. I have been feeling very emotional and almost an itching inside me wanting to breakdown and cry. What you are describing seems to be quite normal. Those things are evil!

• Posted

Hey! 

I was on these for 4 days & my body was shaking, tremors, coughing, vomiting, diarrhea, clenched jaw, heightened anxiety & the list goes on.... 

I stopped taking them & I was still experiencing the same feels for days... 

the doctor told me to go back on & I couldn't even last a day .... it's been 2 days since I took that one dose & I can't eat, vomiting, dizzy, dehydrated, anxiety (which I was prescribed them for) this drug is insane!! 

He chemist told me it will take 6 weeks to fully leave my system, but I should see some improvements in the next few days 

• Posted

Hi, I've just stopped taking fluoxetine as I also took it for 4 days and felt terrible. I was put on it for anxiety and depression but it left me bed bound. It made me so Ill. I stopped taking it 2 days ago and was wondering if you could shed some light on how long it took for you to start feeling better? I'm able to eat a little now, anxiety has mildly settled but still overall feeling terribless. Leanne x

• Posted

Hello.

It took 7 days for me to feel pretty much normal again. It is awful as I did not think I was going to recover.

• Posted

Hey! 

My doctor tried to put me back on FLU.. I had 1 dose and BOOM!!! Throwing up, anxious, shaking, doctor said to stop....  it's been 5 days and I still can't eat.... the doctor put me on Endep 10mg on Friday and I still can't even sleep properly after 2 doses! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.