stopped Fluoxetine after 5 days,awful side effects.1 week later & still ill

Posted , 49 users are following.

I was on 20mg for 5 days. On the 4th day I was completely hyper,bad dreams,sweating,uncontrollable shaking which ended in an awful panic attack which I had never had before. 2 days later after another attack I ended up in A&E and apparently its a bad reaction.

Anyway I've been off them 6 days now and not feeling much better-nausea,dreams,anxiety,sweating. After taking them for such a short time shouldn't these side effects have stopped now? Thank you

2 likes, 151 replies

151 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

HI everyone! I am so sad to see everyone here suffering the same as I am!! I have been taking this med for only 6 1/2 weeks... was feeling VERY dizzy/weak/out of it. Constantly felt like I would pass out. Nauseous/panic attacks etc... I have 2 young children (3 and 4) and my 3 year old son is autistic also. Not to mention I am a full time student... I barely could get out of bed, and finally decided I had to stop. I stupidly did this on my own (I told my doctor about the side effects and he switched me from paxil, to prozac and I was fine for a couple of weeks...) but then all the horrible side effects came back full force and I just don't have the time or the energy to keep on trying with these meds! I feel so miserable now, I'd gladly take the minimal depression and anxiety I delt with before! So I took the anti-depressant for about 6 - 1/2 weeks all together and thought that simply quitting after that short time would not cause any withdrawal symptoms but man was I wrong!!!! (I am ALSO currently quitting suboxone... a whole OTHER monster!) So I don't know what symptoms are from what. I'm a mess!!!! I just want to feel normal again! Once I quit taking the anti-depressant, I felt MUCH better for about 3 days, then today all the symptoms came back!!!! So I took 1/2 my dose (20mg) today... I guess I will continue this dose every 3 days or so, then taper down from there. It's so sad that doctors refuse to listen about these meds! They refuse to hear that they have these bad withdrawal effects! I feel helpless. And I just WISH I had never started any of these meds. Never trusted the doctors who prescribed them to me!!!!

• Posted

Hi everyone, I'm in the same boat as you all. My doctor started me on 20 mg of Prozac and I only took it for 6 days and had to stop. This is my first day off of it and already I feel better. Almost instantly after taking it the first time I had dizziness and a light-headed feeling, sweating, nausea, no appetite, cold flashes, and much worse panic attacks then I suffered before. In 6 days I lost 5 lb. Which I can't afford to do because I'm already on the thin side. I was told by my doctor that it could take a few weeks to a few months for the symptoms to go away but feeling like this is not worth it. I would rather deal with the depression and anxiety on my own instead of taking Prozac. This overwhelming feeling of anxiety and uneasiness is really terrible. I agree with a few other posts here that said the stuff is evil. I also hope that I don't have anymore side effects as my body readjusts to not being on Prozac. Good luck to everyone else too, this really is the worst feeling!

• Posted

Hi Jen,

I am just wondering if you are ok now? I have been off fluoxetine for just 5 days having only taken it for 21 days and I still feel awful, still shaky, hot sweats, weak, exhausted and generally feel so rough. Please tell me you are over these awful things by now?

• Posted

Hi Christine, yes, I feel much better. It's been 28 days since I stopped taking prozac. In the week or so that followed, I slept a lot. I felt exhausted and like you, very weak. I had night sweats too, the kind that soaked my clothes and sheets, but that has also ceased. My appetite has returned too. But I'd say that the first 2 weeks after stopping prozac was a big adjustment back to "normal" for my body. The exhaustion was the biggest effect after I stopped. I slept a lot during the day which I never do! But now I feel so much better....hang in there, it does get better. I just reminded myself everyone's body chemistry is different as far as side effects and the amount of time it takes to readjust. Hope you start feeling better real soon!

• Posted

Thanks Jen, that gives me some hope that these symptoms will go eventually, I have all the ones you mentioned plus almost constant adrenaline rushes that feel awful and scary. This is day 6 for me so I’m hoping these symptoms will start to go soon
    • Posted

Hi Christine - Do you recall how long it took for your adrenaline rushes to subside? They wake me out of sleep and it's just awful. I have been off for 8 days. Looking for any pointers!!

• Posted

So glad I came across this. I was put on fluoxetine due to anxiety which was around struggling to eat due to feeling sick and losing too much weight. I managed 3 weeks and the symptoms were just awful, so bad some days I couldn’t get out of bed. I am on day 2 off these awful pills and hope they leave my system ASAP 

• Posted

Hi Christine, i was prescribed fluoxetine 20mg daily for anxiety in December. I suffered terrible side effects and ended up at hospital in 2 occassions with really bad panic attacks. Had ecg twice, blood test, all ok. I persevered as i thought side effects would subside but they never got any easier and were impacting on my life massively, i thought i was going crazy! Decided enough was enough and after almost 12 weeks came off them. It's been a month and it's not been easy, but pleased to say it's getting easier,and side effects do seem to be less . Hope it gets easier for you soon. Take care Xx

• Posted

Hi Karen. 

I ended up in A&E after taking them for 4 days, stayed in over night but ecg & blood tests all fine. It mainly started when I lost my appetite and felt sick, I lost so much weight I went to my doctor as I lost too much, I admitted I was anxious about it. So, rather that sort out why I was sick they decide to give me pills for anxiety. I tried others in the past but I had awful reactions as I did with fluoxetine, at A&E they said to keep going with them but after 3 weeks I couldn’t take it any more, I couldn’t get out of bed! This is day 5 off them now and I still feel awful, shaky, sweating, exhausted and huge adrenaline rushes. I know the weight loss won’t help, I’m trying to whack the calories in asap but hard when you don’t feel like eating. Like you I feel I am going crazy and is impacting my life so badly, I now feel depressed because of all this. It makes no sense, I have a nice life, a lovely husband, wouldn’t change anything so I have no idea where this all came from. Thank you for your reply Karen x

• Posted

Hi Christine (and other ladies in the thread),

I too took 10 mg Prozac for 5 days and thought I was going crazy, seriously.  Shaking, sweating, insane anxiety, can’t eat and all the other symptoms already mentioned. I ended up in ER thinking I had a reaction to a different med when I’m fact I know it was the Prozac.  I’ve been off it 6 days now and still have all the symptoms. Once in a while I’ll get to feeling ok, then bam, it hits again.  I’ve probably lost 8 lbs in the last week and I’m a small person to begin with.  The internal shaking and anxiety is what is killing me. Also, I have this weird tingling sensation in my mouth and tongue that won’t go away. Anyone else have that? I’m so upset I even tried this drug for my peri-menopausal anxiety. This drug is AWFUL! I just want it out of my system! I hope everyone begins to feel better soon. Krista

• Posted

Hi Krista , it's 5 weeks since i stopped taking fluoxetine after being on it for almost 12 weeks. I'm still suffering with side effects ,although not as bad as while i was taking it . I'm experiencing internal shaking and still some anxiety . There are lots of side effects associated with stopping this med I've read lots about them on the internet and it's reassured me that I'm not going crazy ! The length of time it takes to get out of your system varies from one person to another. I take comfort that I'm now not feeling as bad as i did while i was taking them . Hope things get easier for you soon. Take care Xx

• Posted

Hi Krista, your symptoms are so like mine. Today is day 9 off fluoxetine and the symptoms are still there although at least I have been out of bed most of the day for a change. I have no idea why I reacted so bad to this. It does take a while to get out of your system my doctor agreed. I feel awful too, shaky, weak and just want to lie down. Hope we get over this quick x
    • Posted

Hi Krista, just wondering how you are? I seemed a little better yesterday but today wow I feel awful, shaky, dizzy, disoriented, sick and like I haven’t slept for days. 
    • Posted

Hi Christine,

Today, at least right now, I feel ok. Last night was a little rough. My dr gave me a benzo to take at night because I also am not sleeping at all. Took it one hour before bed and for some reason it did nothing. Wide awake. Then my anxiety kicks in...I have a recheck with dr tomorrow so we’ll see what she says. Still can’t eat anything either. Sorry you’re feeling crummy again. Hang in there...that’s about all we can do at this point. sad  Krista

• Posted

I would have thought I would be feeling a little better by now 😞. I’m not sleeping either, was still awake at 1.30am today but refused to sleep in the afternoon as I want to sleep tonight. Have had to cancel my Easter trip to visit my parents who are obviously concerned I’m too ill to go. Anxiety kicked in earlier tonight, no idea why I was just watching tv. My next doctors appointment is not till Friday next week. I was poorly before I went on fluoxetine having lost too much weight, I’m slowly putting it on. I was exhausted before but I’m sure the pills have made me worse. If you don’t mind keeping in touch please let me know how things are going with you

• Posted

My doctor got sick so I didn’t have my appt. Last night was awful, maybe 3 hours of sleep...I don’t want to rely on these benzos to help me sleep, but I can’t find anything that helps. Tried melatonin last night and it did nothing. I think I’m starting to feel a little better regarding the Prozac finally, but this insomnia is killing me!!
    • Posted

Hi, I seem to struggle in the mornings more than anything. Today I got up had breakfast then went back to lie down! I didn’t sleep just listened to relaxation apps then got up for lunch after which I decided I needed to push myself so, I did the house work. Just finished and feel reasonably ok. No idea why the morning is so bad. I read a little about sleeping pills, apparently they don’t allow you to get the proper deep sleep, no idea if that’s the case for sure. I have taken to reading in bed before sleep then put earphones on to listen to a relaxation app that usually helps but having said that I was wide awake at 2am this morning. Maybe that is part of my problem not enough quality sleep and my body clock is just completely out of whack!
    • Posted

Having said all that I just started to feel lighthead and weird again, like my blood sugar levels have dropped or my blood pressure is low but am sure both are fine!
    • Posted

I've been exactly the same Christine, although I've had a few good days the last 2 have been tough . Fuzzy head , feeling anxious and one really dizzy spell , trying to ride it out and hoping tomorrow is better.

• Posted

Hi Karen, I’m starting to get a bit concerned now, I have no idea why I am so exhausted but if Ineeally push myself and just keep pushing I find some energy except now I’m feeling awful again and beginning to wonder if this will ever stop.
    • Posted

I know it's hard Christine, it's 6 weeks since i stopped taking fluoxetine now, and I've really struggled at times. Like you I've pushed myself to do things . After a couple of days of feeling relatively 'normal' it's disappointing to experience the bad days again, but things are getting easier. Thanks for posting the link , more information is always helpful. Take care Xx

• Posted

Hi Christa - Wondering if you can shed any light on when the internal shaking stopped? I can hardly stand it! Been off for 8 days now. Thank you!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.