Stopped hydrocodone cold turkey

Posted , 5 users are following.

I stopped cold turkey after 2 -3 years of using. I wouldnt consider myself an addict as I only took one 10/325 at night. I decided that I had enough. So I experienced horrible wds for a couple weeks and felt better. Then horrid anxiety hit me. I couldnt function at home or work. i quit in Aughust 2018. I now take Citalopram to deal with the anxiety. Im hoping to recover in 6 months or so. Anyone experience such anxiety as this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

ABSOLUTELY....BUT MY PAIN MANAGEMENT DOCTOR HAD ME ON SUBOXONE AS MY BODY DIDN'T LIKE OPIATE PAIN MEDS. My doctors and hospital didn't know I was having anxiety attacks so I've suffered for almost 2 years. When you decide to get off Celexa...try Ashwagandha. It's an Indian root and does well for anxiety.with no withdrawals.

• Posted

Pls be aware that anti anxiety drugs in the class of benzodiazapines are also addicting and may be harder to get off than narcotics for some people, your body was still physically addicted even though you took narcotics on a low dose on a regular basis...could you be having trouble with stress or not sleeping properly w/o the narcotics? maybe try relaxation & stress reduction/control, lifestyle changes(exercise, no caffeine & etc..)...use lowest dose, only as needed, have a plan to reduce,(you dont want to just switch addictions) dont be afraid to talk to your Dr. or counsellor about it... Best Wishes...take it a day at a time, Take Care💕☮

• Posted

i am very aware of benzos. i dont want script for them. i take ssri only until recovered as theyre not addictive. thanks for encouragement

• Posted

firstly well done for getting off the opiates cold turkey, ive been through cold turkey more times than i want to remember and it is HARD!!! one of the worst symptoms for me was the anxiety, but ive suffered from anxiety for many years anyway. I also take citalopram. Dont rush in coming off your SSRI, if you need it you need it. I will have to take it for the rest of my life. If you find its not quite doing whats needed then speak to your doctor about maybe trying something else and find what works for you. My stepmum takes fluoxeten and it works for her however i found it increased my anxiety ten-fold.

Dont put a timeline on your recovery because you are creating unneccessary pressure and further stress for yourself. Be kind to yourself and let your recovery go at its on pace. You will get there but this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Let us know how you get on.

much love ❤

• Posted

Thanks Ree. I am currently still opiate free and taking Cit 10mg. I have my life back. I want to wesn off antidepressant, but no rush. I am coming to the realization that I may need to take from now on. Thanks again gor your kind words. I cant imagine how people feel after quitting from a much higher dosage. It was hard for me only taking one tablet daily. I hear dtories of some taking 10+ hydrocodone daily. Blows my mind

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.