Stopped Lansoprazole for 2 days. Now in worse pain since stopping.....

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I started taking Lansoprazole as I have suspected gastritis.

After 2 days of taking it I decided to stop as I fully read through the leaflet and done a lot of research and decided it probably wasn't for me.

Anyway I stopped taking it 4 days ago but am in worse pain then when I started it! Is this really possible after only 2 tablets?

I had a few side effects, but now the pain I had before taking it has now returned but on a worse scale!

Anyone else had this?

Many Thanks

Kirsty

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If you are prescribed something by your doctor you shouldn’t suddenly stop taking it without consulting them first unless you have had a severe allergic reaction. Gastritis can be very painful and you can get an ulcer, that is why you were prescribed the Lansoprazole. I would take one as soon as possible and see your doctor and tell him/her what happened. 
    • Posted

I stopped taking it due to side effects and risks as described in my above post.
    • Posted

I was suffering really bad with dizzy spells. And only being on them for 2 days I didn't think it'd do much harm coming off them

• Posted

Well if you are worried contact your dr explain about your dizzy spells. Try and speak to someone today, I would be a little concerned to just suddenly stop especially as you say the pain is significantly worse. The dizziness could be from the gastritis. Try and get an emergency appointment otherwise you could end up really unwell.
  • Posted

Go back on the PPI to protect your stomach lining.  Stopping them suddenly could have caused acid rebound.  If they don’t agree with you, see your doctor again for advice.
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I thought seen as I was only on them for a couple of days coming off them wouldn't cause acid rebound would it?

• Posted

I don’t know if the acid rebound could start after a few days.  I can’t find anything on this.   However, stopping them quickly isn’t advised if you have gastritis.  I would tell your doctor if you reacted badly to them and ask for something else.
  • Posted

She doesn't even know if she has gastritis. By stopping after 2 days is not the meds. Call your doctor and have him truly see I'd you have this. I seen 2 doctors. The first doctor told me I have gastritis without even testing me. The other doctor said I had an ulcer just by looking at me. What a joke. I wouldn't take that mad without a true diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.