Stopped Lexapro (escitalopram) and reduced Lyrica (Pregabalin)

Posted , 7 users are following.

Over the past month an a half, I have reduced and stopped Lexapro, most recently 19/12/16 from 10mg to 0mg and Lyrica on Sunday gone, reduced from 200mg to 100mg due to issues with weight gain and loss of sex drive and not helping my panic and anxiety attacks.

Anyway, I was also put on 25mg Valdoxan in December.

So between all the switches of drugs and you name it, what was severe anxiety and panic attacks has me now suffering severe depression.

My head is all over the shop, I want to break up with my boyfriend because I think he could be causing my depression.

I am under a phychiatrist and phychotherapist, just dont know where to go from here???

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about this because I don't. But have you talked to a doctor?

• Posted

Not since I started feeling so low but yes i am due to see one in march
  • Posted

I have just started on valdoxan. come of lexapro. Was on lyrica last year but they had horrible side affects ..can you tell me how valdoxan went for you
    • Posted

Same as I came off Lexapro too and reduced Lyrica.

Am not noticing any huge changes on the Valdoxan but it might need to be increased to the 50mg next time but definly no side effects I think. The first week or two, I couldnt stop sleeping but fine since

• Posted

I was on Lexapro and I had REALLY BAD side effects from it. For me, it made me very spacy, so one minute I would be focused on something, only to suddenly blank out and then completely forget what I was doing. It would also made me very dizzy to bend over. The worst part of it all was that I started having suicidal thoughts at the time, but if I took my medication I would have very lucid nightmares. SInce my grandmother had recently passed away at that time, I kept having dreams of digging up her grave to find her still alive in her coffin. In another dream, my father shot up a family reunion with a shot gun.

One graphic (and I REALLY mean graphic, so if you don't think you can stomach it, I encourage you to go to the next paragraph) dream that I remember quite vividly was that of my grandmother, my mother, and I all living in this beach house. And while in the house, grandma said she was going to go soak her feet in the kitchen. But she was taking quite a long time in the kitchen, so mom and I went in to check on her. When we walked into the kitchen, there were several pots on the stove.... And somehow, grandma had dismembered herself and managed to get all of her limbs, including her head and torso, into all of the boiling pots on the stove. I looked into the pots on the stove, and I remember seeing all the flesh and muscle had fallen on her bones. The pot that had her skull in it still had one eye ball left in it and it was rapidly looking around with the jaw opening and closing rapidly, until both stopped with the eye looked straight ahead and the jaw was gaping open. I then turned to my mom crying and asking her why grandma did that. Suddenly, I felt this wet, boney hand grab my shoulder. It felt so real that I instantly woke up from the dream and frantically called my mother, and explained to her what had just happened.

So, with having these very bizarre and graphic dreams like that and having suicidal thoughts on top of that, it came down to either continue taking Lexapro and in tern continue to have dreams like that or to stop taking it and put up with the suicidal thoughts. Once I was up front with my primary doctor about what the medication was doing to my mind, he promptly had me stop taking it. I was then switched to my current antidepressant: Paxil (paroxetine). I've made a lot of progress with Paxil, and was able to stop my self harm habits for about a year. Sadly, I just relapsed with self harm recently, but I still believe I've made a lot of progress with Paxil and psychotherapy. I am also going to be taking Lamictal soon (at the advising of my new psychiatrist) to hopefully help curb the suicidal thoughts. 

I think the best advice I could give you is to be up front with your psychotherapist, your boyfriend, and yourself. What about your boyfriend makes you think he is causing to your depression? I'm not doubting that he may be contributing to your depression, but there may also be other factors involved and the best thing you can do is examine aspects of your life with your psychotherapist. And, the most important thing in my opinion, is to be honest about it. If you're not honest with yourself or with others, then the you might not get the right kind of advice that would benefit you. So I encourage you to really take a look at your life as well as your relationship with him. I don't know him, so I can't speak for his individual character, so only you can really determine if leaving him would really be the best option or if there are things you can do to repair your relationship with him. 

I wish you the best and would gladly try to give you more advice if you'd like me to. Best wishes. 

Xxx,

Dragonfly26

• Posted

My mind is feeling slightly better now, the withdrawal seemed to effect me horribly, I am now 3 months off SSRI's and 2 months on the reduction from Lyrica from 200mg to 100mg and definly my brain is feeling clearer. Still on Valdoxan and Xanax also and meeting my phychotherapist and well as Phychiatrist

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.