Stopped prozac after only taking it for 2 weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

My doctor prescribed Prozac 10mg because I experienced a Panic attack and anxiety . I was advised by my doctor that I will need to take Prozac for the rest of my life. After taking prozac for one week I began to feel more anxious, and unable to sleep at night. At the 2 week mark my last dosage was terrible. Had insomnia, could not not sleep. my body wanted to sleep but my brain was awake. I also felt hot flashes every night, so I decided to stop completely the medication. the first 2 days i was unable to fall asleep. i decided to buy Sleepytime Herbal tea to calm my nerves and drink the tea everynight before bedtime and it has helped me a lot. Ive been off Prozac 1 week and I feel its getting better and better each day. I don't have any symptoms during the day. The only symptoms I experience it's only at night time. but the Tea does help you eventually fall asleep. I do wake up at night to use a restroom. i also have dreams (not nightmares) and I pray to my God everynight. Prozac is not good at all. It blocks your natural hormones in producing and your body will always need to rely on a pill to get better. I don't think so.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

First of all-your doctor was incorrect in saying that you would need yo be on it the rest of your life. Many people take it for a while & stop it of they choose to.

Second-you did not give it a good try. 2 weeks is much too soon for you to expect to see optimal results.

Yes sweating & dreams are a minor side effect when starting. They do eventually go away.

I certainly hope you don't have any more panic/anxiety attacks

Prozac is a great drug & has helped me immensely.

If you dont want to take an antidepressant for panic attacks maybe you would do better just taking a benzo (xanax, klonopin) when you start to have an attack?

• Posted

It's been 10 days since I stopped Prozac after only taking it for 2 weeks and I have not gotten any withdrawal symptoms. I am now sleeping better. I only had a panic attack a few times but I still think I should not have been prescribed Prozac as I am not depressed. Doctor also prescribed Clonazepam incase I get a panic attack. The best decision I did was to stop taking Prozac as my body does not need to reply on medication,

• Posted

well thats good that you have something for a panic attack if it happens!

Im on prozac (low dose) & I'm not a depressed person either It just evens me out as far as generalized anxiety.

Best of luck to you!

• Posted

How are you now?

I was put on Prozac 20 mg for ibs, not even anxiety or panic attacks. After a fun two days (lots of energy, yay!), the morning of day three I woke up with what I was sure was a heart attack - which happened again the next day and turned into just two days of none stop crying, anxiety. I stopped sleeping. Every time I tried to sleep, I would jolt awake.... I'm tired, but at the same time, I feel fully rested. It's weird and scary.

I stopped on day 6. Screw that.

I've been off for four days now - today was the first day I didn't feel like I had a horrible flu/anxiety, though I'm still pretty wired so I don't know if I'll sleep...it's been about three days since I last got more than a half an hour of sleep at a time.

I'm kind of freaking out....I feel good now. It's the first day I'm 'okay', like pre-prozac okay. I'm reading all this stuff on the web about withdrawl going on forever and it's doing nothing for my anxiety. I heard that withdrawl doesn't really start until after a month, when tons of people are hit out of nowhere with a handful of fun symptoms...

Has anyone else gone through crazy withdrawl after stopping after a week?

• Posted

hi I am doing great. almost 3 months im off prozac and i feel super good. it did take a few days to completely get out of the withdrawal symptoms. but now i have no symptoms all. i sleep well too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.