Stopped smoking after 50 years

Posted , 4 users are following.

I stopped smoking after 50 years of smoking, but I did not smoke every day.  There would be 3 - 5 day gaps, but when I did smoke, it was always stress related, and at times, two packs a day.  

When I stopped, I switched to the "E" cigarettes, but have recently switched to the vapes, which I find are more pleasant.  The cigarettes that I did smoke were the lowest tar and nicotine available.  

I have been smoke free since around March 2015, but there were lapses as 2015 was a very stressful year.  For about four years, when I was still using tobacco, I alternated cigarettes with the Es.  Now, I only use Es or vapes with zero nicotine with my coffee mid morning, and that is it!  I have been almost entirely cigarette free for five months, but longer than that if you count the occasional lapses.  

I did not suffer any withdrawal symptoms at all, other than the usual hand to mouth urges when the phone rings, etc.

Wonder if anyone knows how rapidly the lungs clear?  Must have done some damage, but I was asked to fill in a form yesterday that asked if I could walk up two flights of stairs to the second floor without being breathless or heart accelerating.  I accomplished this with ease, and was only slightly puffed at the top.  I could never have done this a year ago!

Your feedback would be very welcome, and I hope that this post has been of some help to those who want to stop.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Well done for stopping smoking! I wish I didn't smoke, anything from four to fourteen a day. Low tar/low nicotine. If I'm with family, grandchildren especially, I don't smoke at all and don't feel a need to. I enjoy a smoke when I'm relaxing, reading a book, morning coffee, evening glass of wine. I usually smoke alone so it isn't a social thing.  I haven't felt any health issues related to smoking. What made you decide to stop? 
    • Posted

I have always known that it was an unhealthy and expensive habit.  I am facing a total hp replacement, and felt that I needed to be squeaky clean for surgery.  Needless to say, I do not drink, either.  I have noticed a difference in lung function.  I was not an addicted smoker, it was always more a response to stress.  I realised how silly it was adding the stress and worry of smoking to stress as it was an add on, and something else to worry about.  Something of a vicious circle, so I decided that it was time to stop going around in circles.
  • Posted

Hi Susie, thank you , your post has been an inspiration to me..im just about to start my journey ,after 38 years of smoking. a little fearful ,but a lot more determined..so tomorrow is day 1 .

Sorry i cant help answer your question though smile

best wishes Jan 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.