Stopped synthroid for a month and then back on it for 36 days with lots of diarrhea and nausea

Posted , 5 users are following.

Sooooo I did a dumb thing and my prescription for Synthroid 88 mcg got messed up and I ended up not taking it for about a month. Got my prescription straightened out and have been taking it again for about a month plus. HOWEVER for the past two weeks I’ve had loose stools and dirarrhea and been nauseous most of the day (definitely worse in the morning and feels better as the day goes on) for TWO WEEKS. At first I thought it was some form of the stomach flu but now I’m worried that I messed my body up somehow going on and off of synthroid like that. I have a physical with my GP and am going to ask him to run my TSH T3 and T4 to see how they come back. Has anyone ever had abdominal and digestive problems when they got on/off synthroid? Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Rebecca,I have not experienced this but many thyroid problems are caused by the immune system being out of whack.  This can also cause Crohn’s disease, which causes diarrhea etc. Not to scare you as it is very treatable with medication, but you might want to mention this to your doc and see if she will get you a colonoscopy just to check. 
    • Posted

Thanks for that info! Knowing is half the battle and I will be able to ask the right questions hopefully at my next visit! Do you or someone you know have Crohns?
    • Posted

I have had it some years back, now cured happy to say. Ask any questions.
  • Posted

Your T.S.H levels are likely off. I’ve been having similar symptoms when the levels are not where they need to be. It takes some time to get things back in order and being off the meds for a month likely threw your levels off kilter quite a bit.  I would think you should see improvement in a couple of weeks if not you should go to your doc and have your levels checked. 
  • Posted

Hi Rebecca, synthroid on particular  contains a lot of additives that can trigger the immune system. Levothyroxin is known to cause autoimmune disease and can cause gut problems.

Is there any chance you gave the loose stools now because  you were actually constipated before?

I’m nit a dan of kevothyrixin. I think its a horrible drug. But... you have to decide for yourself. Is it helping or hurting? What does your gut feeling say? 

• Posted

No never had this problem or any with Levo. But if you are having these symptoms remember that you may not be absorbing your thyroid meds as optimally as possible. You should contact your doctor. There are a few here that have reported the same but not many. Maybe half you dose in am and see how you feel but you are absorbing less which is not good. Maybe your cortisol levels are too high and taking Levo increased adrenaline release. Who knows? Is this a different brand?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.