Stopped taking Atorvastatin and am worried about the "rebound effect"

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have all the sympthoms of statin side effects...weak muscles, insomnia,brain fog ,dizziness etc, So I told my doc that Im going to stop taking them. She hasnt replied to me yet but Ill bet she wont be happy. Ive also heard about the "rebound effect" after stopping...even with a great low cholesterol diet and plenty of exercise. I feel so lousy now that I almost dont care if my cholesterol levels go up! .

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Dear Ellen, Have you actually stopped taking them? I don't know about the rebound effect because I was on Simvastatin now banned in the States as a first statin for a few weeks and I reacted big time! Hopefully if you come off the statins you will return to 'normal,' but be aware that you might not. Firstly you need to take CQ10 and then you need to research cholesterol because there is good and bad and statins appears to attack both! Did you have a heart attack. Were your arteries clogged? My cholesterol was only 5 (UK) ironically so I didn't really need to take the damn things. You listen to professionals but unfortunately those professionals get paid to dish them out like Smarties. 

Come back to me if you want more thoughts! lol

• Posted

Do you know LeJayse exactly why it was banned?
    • Posted

Hi Sue,

Sorry no I don't. All I know is that other statins have to be prescribed first in case of a reaction. I also think it was the 80mg but I would have to check

• Posted

Hi Sue,

I checked and it is 80mg. It's on the FDA website

L

• Posted

I was only on 20mg of it though I think it took six months for very bad affects. I read any medication bad side affects take six months of taking them to really affect us.  I was reading about rodents and how their cells had changed in their muscles taking these pill.s  It's strange why it happens when we take these pills and the process that must happen ridding the cholesterol from us.  

• Posted

With me it was a matter of days when I had the first reaction. Immediately researched was horrified and stopped. At the time I was 13st.9lbs. Over the year I went down to 11st.7lbs.  Now I am 9st. 7lbs. That has taken six years which doesn't sound much except I wasn't trying and when I went to Australia to see my daughter I lost half a stone in a month so it's not a gradual reduction more like in chunks and mostly muscle. Whether statins rids us of cholesterol is debatable.

• Posted

Heck, so even though you've stopped you're still losing muscle mass?  That must of been scared for you.  When I realised mine was the pills in one week I lost nine pound but I was only eight half stone anyway I had a massive thigh gap and my legs and knees looked like a school child aged four, really scared stuff isn't it.  Stopped them a week later I gained nine pound so it was muscle not fat.  Still have skinny legs though.

• Posted

Unfortunately that wasn't the end of it. I developed a tight band under my boobs, reaction to certain foods which worsened it, fatigue, brain fuzz and breathlessness.Doctor said, IBS, yeah right!  I had a heavy fall and wonder if there is a connection to that. Heigh ho. I've researched every disease known to man and don't fit any of them so I'm going to see an osteopth in case it is something physical. Another box ticked. 

L

• Posted

Hi Ellen, I can relate to your side effects. Several doctors over the years convinced me to try statins and every time within two weeks to a month the side effects would take over to the point that I could no longer function. After the last episode, I stopped taking them, because I had joint pain in my left arm when I would raise it up. It took several months before the joint pain left.  I'm so thankful that the pain left. I'm not sure if I experienced any rebound because I started to feel so much better after I stopped the statin. 

My cardiologist tried to convince me to try repatha but the idea was terrifying to me.  I researched it and there were reviewers who were experiencing some of the same side effects as with statins.  I have reduced my numbers before with diet and exercise so I'm going to try this again.  ...hope you find your pathway to better health and quality of life. 

• Posted

Hi Ellen,

I had all the side effects you mentioned and after 6 months of being on 20mg of atorvastatin, I decided to quit taking them on my own. It took almost a year before most of the effects went away. I still have the "rebound effect" which hits me once in awhile. It takes a long time for your body to heal. Best of luck and hang in there..

Scott

• Posted

Hi Ellen,

I too had all those side effects plus a few more. I quit on my own and it does take time for your body to get back to normal. It was a good 6 months for me until I started to feel somewhat normal and a year later it's gotten better. I still feel a rebound effect today but it's only once in awhile. Give it time but do your best to stay off them if you get those side effects. I tried 2 different statins and had same effects from both.

Scott D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.