Stopped taking citalopram and quetiapine, any advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I stopped taking 30mg of citalopram and 37.5mg of quetiapine daily a week a ago, I’ve been taking them both for 3 years now and I’ve been experiencing headaches, vomiting, abdominal pains, diarrhoea, brain zaps, painful eyes, fainting, nausea, fatigue this is unbearable. Does anyone know how long this will happen for and should I just go back to taking them or wait until I speak to my doctor? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Beth, I'm presuming you have just stopped cold turkey, if yes than I am not surprised you are suffering with withdrawal symptoms, you should have been weaned off them gradually over probably 6 weeks, why have you just stopped them, I suggest you call the drug advice line or ,111 and ask if you would be better going back on or is their something you could take to help relieve the symptoms

• Posted

Hello Beth

I do hope you didn't stop these medications cold turkey as that's what I did last year on another psychotic drug which I never should of been on in the first place! End result it thrtough my whole being mentally and physically into turmoil all the symptoms u mentioned It was really rough but I rode it through These withdrawal symptoms lasted quite some months only because I went off the drug without tapering!

Hope things ease soon for you!

• Posted

Hi you should never stop taking meds like this as you will get terrible withdrawal symptoms as you have found out.

My advice is to start taking them again and see your doctor.  You need to come off them slowly under your doctors care.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.