Stopped taking Citalporam

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I decided after 6 month to stop taking my 10mg a day, didnt take advice, didnt think I needed it or it would be a problem.....how wrong was I...after 5 days of feeling generally ill, bad dreams, pins and needles, no appetite, I took my normal dose and 12 hours later felt better......how do you come off these sad

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Your doctor should advise you.

But ... you have to withdraw very slowly and when I came off them I did it my. 5mg at a time.  Never ever just stop taking them as you'll be very I'll.

Buy a pill cutter, and take half a tablet every day.  If you still feel ill on that then take half a tablet one day and a whole one the next (5mg and 10mg).  Stay on that dose for about 2-3 weeks then reduce again to either 5mg every it her day or 5mg every day (depending what dose you took first).  Again stay on that dose for about. 2-3 weeks.  Eventually increase the days between the doses and eventually stop.  should take around 2 months to come off them.

K x

• Posted

Sorry for the typos ....
  • Posted

Hello Lou why would you want to stop taking your meds if they help you.? There's no shame in it.
    • Posted

I know but other peoples attitudes and the fact that they think you dont need them doesnt help....😫
    • Posted

Some people attitudes towards this illness stinks.  Would people expect someone to stop their diabetes medicines?  Ok, I know we won't die from not taking anti-dep medicines, but it sure makes our lives hell on earth and sadly some people do die ... by taking their own lives.

You can take this medicine for life if you need to.  It's your life, it's your body.

This illness would bring the strongest man on the planet to his knees ... it's not something we choose to have and we can't just be strong and 'pull our socks up' and forget about it.  It often needs treatment from medicines and therapy for quite a while - and only then, when you're comfortable, should you think about coming off them.

However, if you really feel you need to come off them may I suggest the following natural SSRI, which acts like Citalopram:

When you're completely off Citalopram try a natural SSRI called 5-HTP which needs to be taken with l-tyrosine.  Both can be bought from Holland & Barrett (if you're in the UK) and you need to take them both.  Read a book called 5-HTP The Natural Way to Overcome Depression, Obesity by Michael T Murray ........ it's a really interesting read.

You need to be off SSRI's completely before starting 5-HTP as they mustn't be taken together.

​Your sex drive will not be affected at all on these.  They have no side effects what so ever.

Again don't expect miracles immediately, as these need to get into your system.  I had a year on them and though I didn't feel 100% as I do on Citalopram, I did feel about 90% better.  They did me great!

K x

• Posted

Hello Lou. To your reply to hell what other people think about you. Start thinking good stuff positive thoughts and all that.

When I went to see a hypnotist. He said " your mind is like a garden !!! .if you leave it all one weeds will grow. And if you take care of it flowers will grow. So like your mind think crap you get what you have now. Or start thinking positive thoughts and be happy for you and you only flowers will bloom .

Its true you have to start thinking straight again.

• Posted

it's what good for you that is important.   hell with them    they don't live your life.
  • Posted

Kate is absolutely right. Cold turkey withdrawal is not advised. I did it myself at the same stage as you Loopy, and I really suffered. Restarting (on my initial dose of 30mg) helped me instantly. I then kept it up for 2 more months and decided that I wanted to wean off them (mood becoming much more stabilised, no sex drive), so followed the following schedule:

4 weeks on 20 mg-2 weeks on 15 mg-2 weeks on 10 mg-3 weeks on 5 mg-3 weeks on 2.5 mg

The idea is to accustom your body to smaller and smaller doses before quitting. It's been almost 5 days since my last dose of Cit and I feel perfectly normal. Certainly much better than when I tried to go cold turkey!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, I only take 10mg anyway but the main reason I want to come off is low sex drive and I suppose family wondering why Im on them! Im strong etc haha gonna wait a couple of weeks and try again
  • Posted

Hello Loopylou,

Sorry for coming in on the discussion a littl elet, but I had a bit of a bad day yesterday and wasn't feeling too brill.

All I would like to do is support the replies in supporting you and just remind you that, you are your own person and that is all that matters in the first instance. Other peoples love, support and understanding is an added bonus.

We all tend to worry about what "others may think" as we are conditioned by a false impression of how everyone should look or be like. Sadly, like many things this leads to everyone being the same and stagnation as we see pretty much today with the crap that is on TV apart from the odd decent drama, educational or thought provoking programmes.

So, so not listen to those that didn't know or understand, listen to yourself and thise that do know, understand and will support you. Like here!

Personally, as an ex-serviceman, Father, hard working Dude, sporty type and all round good egg (oh! did I mention modest! Lol!), I would have laughed at anyone a year ago who said this is where I'd be today! But do you know, I am glad. Glad to be a real person at last, who appreciates the love and support my partner, daughter, members of the Families and some friends (real friends) and the wonderful people here at the forum have given me.

All you need to concern yourself about is getting better and if anyone can't, or won't, try and appreciate what you are going through then don't let them worry you!

You know where to come for friendship.

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi David, thank you for your kind reply. On hindsight I probably took other peoples comments to heart but if Im totally honest, from an outsider I would look and say "why does she need them" but no-one but yourself truly knows what goes on inside....although Im definately going to wait to come off them again and accept thats theres no stigma in taking them in first place! Im not one for talking, discussing feelings but I surprised myself by commenting on here. Have a fab day David and thanks again for the pep talk 😃
  • Posted

Oops! please excuse the type O's, it appears I am not quite over the slight downer yesterday! (My excuse!)

Regards,

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.