Stopped Zopiclone

Posted , 4 users are following.

Cannot believe it is more than 3 weeks since my last zopiclone. Went cold turkey and felt terrible for days but suddenly I realise I am enjoying life again and sleeping at night. Unbelievable really so hope it continues and I never want to be zombie like again. 

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well done, Gillian.  How long were you taking them before.

tried it myself once, but couldn't do it.

• Posted

Vivien maybe you should try again, I'm sure you can do it. I've been on them for almost 3 years. Set yourself a date, get rid of all your tablets, and go cold turkey 100%. The 1st week is the worst, believe in yourself. Good luck
    • Posted

I have tried in the past and I have never felt so ill in all my life.l

i felt like a complete zombie, and I was composing suicide notes in my head.

dont think I could bear that again.

i have been on all types of sleeping meds since the sixties, so you see my problem.

• Posted

Hi Vivien. I tried several times to give up using the ashton method but as I still had some zopiclone left I went back on them. Once I knew I was going to run out I decided this was the time to go cold turkey. Yes, I felt lousy and wanted them desparately but struggled on wondering if the nightmare would end. It did, although even now I could be tempted but. haven't got any zopiclone and will nevef ask for them again. Good luck and give it a go. It is worth it. 
    • Posted

Gillian.

would be interested to know if you tried the Ashton method in conjunction with your gp, or did you try to do it alone.

• Posted

I tried the ashton method about 2 years ago but didn't get off zopiclone mainly because I couldn't get a small enough dose of diazepam to counteract the half life of zopiclone. That is why I have gone cold turkey and haven't got any zopiclone in the house so cannot slip back! I am doing it alone. 

G x

• Posted

Vivien

I understand fully especially about the suicide notes and feeling absolutely lousy. I was there while taking zopivane. On numerous occasions I thought about making an end to my life. I actually took an overdose but was extremely lucky to survive.

If you really want to stop using it, I believe in you, you can. Don't go to your bedroom during the day, keep yourself busy. This is difficult because I kept on thinking about the meds and me not sleeping. Knit, colour in, read, cook, go for a walk, do anything that you like doing.

I felt like an orphan without my beloved meds, and felt very sorry for myself. After my 3rd meds free night, I got rid of them. Hallelujah!

It is not your problem, it is just your CHALLENGE! Please give it a go, you owe it to yourself.

I truly believe you can do it.

Kind regards

Hannelie xx

• Posted

Hi Gillian what is the Ashton method ,

i have been taking these for 3 years as I had to go through two lots of treatment for hep c ,and I couldn't sleep, 

now im finding the zopiclone don't work anymore,

tried to come off them last year on holiday but felt so awful ,like a zombie 

• Posted

Hi Sue

Google Heather Ashton and you will find one of the methods for coming off zopiclone. It works on the methd of gradually replacing zopiclone wih diazepam which has a longer half life. The problem is you need to take such small amounts of diazepam at the end of the withdrawal period that you need liquid diazepam which means cutting the tablet accurately ( impossible) or going in liquid diazepam only available from doctor. I didn't use this method in the end, just went cold turkey which is hell to begin with but it is 28 days today since I last had a zopiclone and I feel relatively normal. If you have bought zopiclone from the internet your doctor will tell the DVLA and you will lose your driving licence so be careful going down that route. Good luck anyway however you do it but it is worth it. I really do not know why it is still prescribed because if you have sleeping problems you are not just going to take it for a week which is what GP's recommend. Why do they do this I wonder.? Most people need them for far longer and that is where the problem starts as the doctors will not prescribe them. It would be better if they were never prescribed in the first place. G x

• Posted

Oh dear I think I'm in a bit of a mess , due to illness and marriage breakdown, I've been through such a tough time, been using zapain, diazepam and zopiclone to sleep, but I would stil be awake 4 hours later then wake up late, my body has been trashed and exhausted from hep c I couldn't cope ,and had no support at home

treatment is now over ,and my body is feeling better, just. Need to sort this dependence on pills out ,and get back to normal, had depression too, but the treatment for hep c is a tough barbaric regime, makes you depressed

• Posted

Hi sue.  Your gp will probably prescribe mirtazapine if you want to come of zopiclone and you are also depressed.

they say they can help you sleep, but didn't work for me.

but give it a go, need to have a chat with go, Asap.

• Posted

Oh Sue

please ask your doctor for mirtazapine as that is an anti depressant and it dors help me to sleep if you take it last thing at night. I also downloaded some hypnotherapy tapes that deal with prescription drug Withdrawal and anxiety and listened to these in Bed . Good luck and keep in touch so we know you are making progress. Everyone on this site has been where you are today . X

• Posted

Gosh how am I gonna get myself out this mess.

Meds I take are venlafaxine 225 mg antidepressant

Zopiclone 7.5 mg

Zapain / paracetamol & codeine on prescription

Ive also got diazepam 5 mg

Because of illness , treatment and stress at home , but I've been abusing them because I was so depressed and still am

• Posted

Hi Sue

If you are being prescribed all these medications go back to the doctor and tell him what you have said in your note to this site. You can also contact your local Mind ( mental health ) charity and see soepmeone from there. Number should be online ..

• Posted

Didn't finish my note and spelling of someone was wrong! I do hope you can get so e help as you sound so sad. X

Good luck

• Posted

I am sad , it's just been horrendous this last 3 years , the treatment for hep c was barbaric , and that's when the nightmare started .

The drugs gave me depression and insomnia

Burning skin , rage , mood swings , terrible time , then my husband started being horrible because he couldn't cope

I was so sick and treading on eggshells around him , he's sucked the life out of me , couldn't work as I have my own business .

He has been horrible to my son , he's broken me , the treatment has worked this time ( 2nd) attempt but I darent tell anyone the mess I'm in

• Posted

Hi Sue, so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well, I know the feeling. I am going through my 2nd divorce, am unemployed and very recently had a cancer scare which turned out to be negative, so thankful. I am also still going through mood swings, very short tempered, etc. Tried to commit suicide with zopivane. Go to a gp who knows you and who you can trust, be honest. I am in South Africa and gp prescribed phenergan 25mg, which makes you drowsy and you fall asleep quicker. Apparently they also use this with patients in rehab, it is something you could consider. Be kind to yourself, I know now that people don't have a lot of patience with us. Please keep us updated about your progress. Kind regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.