Stopping 5mg after 3 weeks

Posted , 2 users are following.

I started taking generic paxil a little over 3 weeks ago for severe panic attacks and mild depression. I have klonopin, but don't like it a lot bc i feel depressed after it wears off. I also have propranolol as needed which works decent for racing heart. I lost custody to my kids to my ex husband 1 month ago. He is unreasonable and harsh with them and does not advocate them having a good relationship with me. I'm telling you this and I'm going to tell you a few other things that led to the choice to start taking the meds. My ex husband is a man with deep pockets and deep roots in our southern community. A man of influence. I married him when I was 17 and was married for 10 years. I cane from a broken family, the girl from the wrong side of the tracks, the while bit. I'm not a bad mother, or even a stupid person but money and influence talk in this town. Anyway, the custody loss, and the fight to have a positive relationship with this psycho is my biggest root cause I believe to my major anxiety and mild depression. Other causes are getting a job making good money at the townhouse community I spent my first 4 years with my ex husband living in and the memories that came flooding back on a daily basis I know look back and see were a trigger. My new husband and I are also struggling a bit financially, which is very nerve wracking esp adding child support to the mix. (I'm not complaining, I'm just stating the fact) my thyroid, I just found out, is at a tsh level of 33. I started armour thyroid a week after I started the generic paxil. Ok, so I got a script for 10 mg, as I know how very very sensitive I am to meds, I split them in half with a pill splitter to make 5 mg and that's what I have been taking for the past 3 weeks. The first 3 or 4 days I felt some side effects, light headedness, a little drowsiness, headache and a little nausea. But that cleared up pretty quickly and then for 2 weeks I noticed a calm that I had not had in a while. It wasn't a major major shift, just a subtle one. I was not waking up with fears, I stopped having suicidal idealations, and I was not reacting with anger or snapping off when someone did something to upset me. However, this past Friday (3 days ago)my anxiety started to go into overdrive and every day it has slowly gotten much worse. The past two days, I have actually woke up sobbing. My insomnia is back and my heart races all day, if i can get it under control with the beta blocker or with distracting myself, I still feel doom and gloom. Almost worse than before I started the meds. Here's the thing, Friday marked 7 days before I'm expecting my special hormonal friend that visits once a month. So, I'm wondering if my sudden drop in hormones, mixed with my thyroid condition is actually the culprit, and my other issues I listed are circumstantial. And, since I am only on 5 mg, for 3 weeks, if I could just stop taking it....

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry your going through a hard time it must be horrible for you,but you will get through it,this is my experience on Paxil and my second time time taking it in my life,the first time I took it for two years at 20mg I slowly went to that dose,a few side effects but worth not feeling anxious,the second time two weeks ago due to going through a hard time I had to go back on it again,I am very sensitive to the drug, I started taking 10mg for 7 days felt horrible high anixety nauseous doc gave me a few oxazepam a type of (benzodiazepines) for the first week which helped, day 7 upped the dose to 20mg felt a bit nauseous and a few side effects but not nearly as bad as the first week now it's day 8 on the 20mg so all up I'm day 15 and feeling great no anixety no feeling down,it can take up to 6 to 8 weeks to work it depends on the person,I'm just wondering why your doctor has not upped your dose it seems really low dose to be on.and it's not obviously working for you ,and since your thinking of coming of it maybe talk to your doctor you shouldn't have much of a problem as it's only a low dose I find once this drug works it works great for me good luck with everything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.