Stopping Alendronate

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've been taking Alendronate Sodium 70mg, once a week since Feb. After reading how many of you are not taking it, (but were prescribed it), I want to stop also. I would ask my Rheumy, but I don't see him until March, (had to cancel my appt. two weeks ago, due to a snow storm, and that was the next available date). My question is, is it safe to just stop, or am I suppose to taper that drug as well?

Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

Others will have their view but I think you should know why you are taking the drug before you stop it. I have a friend who has been taking it for several years without undue side effects because she is at high risk of osteoporosis. Some GPs will,give it automatically when you are on steroids with the proviso that you come off it when you taper. Certainly worth finding out what your individual needs are. All best.

• Posted

Patricia I don't know if I will be of much help but I did take Alendronic acid (is that the same as Alendronic Sodium? ) a couple of years ago,soon after I was diagnosed with PMR . I had such a ghastly reaction to it that I stopped immediately.I was subsequently given risedronate,which I took for a year.

• Posted

You do not have to taper. Were you prescribed the AA because you definitely have OP or simply as a preventative in case pred caused bone thinning?

AA shouldn't be take for more than two at most three years because after that time the liabilities (new bone being laid over an increasing brittle aging matrix) begin to outweigh the benefits. Nutrition, including a few judicious supplements, and appropriate exercise also contribute to stronger bones, without any side effects.

• Posted

No, it doesn't need to be tapered.

And while I'm sure there are people who have taken it for years without apparent problems - it shouldn't be taken for more than 2 to 3 years at a time without a holiday. There are potentially serious long terms adverse effects which are now coming to light,

• Posted

my internist said your system can only absorb up to 500 mg of CALCIUM in pill form per day, the rest needs to come through nutrition. I take one pill and try to get the rest through broccoli, kale, cashew milk, yogurt, cheese and other high calcium foods.

My gyno would prefer a more aggressive " pill supplement " approach. I do have some osteoporosis but play lots of sports and fear brittle bones and fracture might increase more on the meds than off. The gyno and internist seem to disagree.

Based on recent reports I'm also probably stopping my mammograms.

Seems like both might cause more harm than help for me.

• Posted

i just stopped taking them because of side effects,plus my dentist wasnt at all happy and said ask your doctor to put you on calsios tablets , which i did,i took them for 4years... then i read the mayoclinic report, which said they had done test on 2 sets of people so many on steroids

and so many on plasebos and the result was there was no evidence that steroids damaged the bones so i just came offcalsios and went back onto celery seed which i took for 20 years previusstarting with pmr

• Posted

Have you a link for that study? Or at least, the title/where I can find it since the link would be moderated...

• Posted

Thanks everyone. Not sure what to do really. Wonder if I had another dexa scan it would show improvement, and if so, would it come from the AA or all the extra plant based calcium I am taking. I don't think any one could answer that, except the Big G.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.