stopping amitriptyline

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have stopped  the drug abruptly, I know its not recommended, but I felt that I had to. I am experiencing confusion, has anyone else had this if so how long has it gone on for?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Been on amitriptyline since last april 30mg for chroinc pain in my back I'm on tramadol 50 mg too I would not stop it until you have spoken to your Gp or a pharmacy I've never had any confusion only a hangover effect the next day how long have you been talking it ? It takes around 5-6 weeks to get full effect of amitriptyline too work

• Posted

I have stopped already! I have been on it for 3 years. I stopped it because I had confusion whilst on it and I still have it now I have come off, but I have only been off it for 2 days! Its a horrible feeling makes working quite difficult.
  • Posted

What are u taking it for
    • Posted

I was taking it for anxiety and sleep problems, it worked for 3 years then I started getting problems with confusion so I stopped it, but the confusion has continued, mind you I have only been off it for 2 days.

It would be really nice if someone on this site was encouraging, what I would like to hear is that I should perservere and it will get better! Does anyone think that?

• Posted

I see what your saying Claire but stopping a drug can be dangerous I was only thinking of your welfare well done for doing it but it's been the only drug that's been 100% successful for me
    • Posted

Thank you Marshall71 for being concerned for my welfare, thats kind of you. You are right it can be dangerous, I may end up back on it at this rate because the confusion is awful! 

I am glad it has been successful for you smile

• Posted

Hi Clairepip,

I am totally on board with you wanting to stop. I stopped a couple of weeks ago, even though stopping abruptly is not recommended. I hate the drug! I always felt sluggish and unmotivated, dry mouth....anyway it has been a couple of weeks (taking 50mg) since I stopped and I have felt tired still, but I am determined to overcome the withdrawals.ems to slowly be coming off again. Yayyyy. Also, I gained weight on the drug, and it se I have made my own decision and I'm sticking to it! I wish I never started in the first place! I am feeling better each day (it hasn't been easy) but I see the light. I think it will take a month-6 weeks to feel normal again! Good luck :-)

• Posted

Hi Cassmac,

Thanks for your reply its so good to hear some positive news! Glad you are feeling better.

I have been off it for 10 days now and am still feeling confused (its sort of like feeling unconnected with your environment and its hard to concentrate, horrible!) and very tired. I am quite worried about the confusion because it is making work very difficult, but I am trying to keep going! Have you had feelings of confusion? 

Am I expecting too much to feel normal again already? I probably am arent I!

Good luck to you too :-)

• Posted

Hi Clairepip,

I am far from 'normal' lol, I am still tired and like you, foggy and confused. From my research, I am thinking it will take a couple of months to strike a balance. I understand how it can affect your work as well. And I am trying to push through all of that. It's certainly not easy! hang in there :-)

• Posted

Hi Cassmac,

Thanks for your encouragment, it is certainly reassuring to hear you say that you have similar feelings to me. Of course I asked the Doctor and he just looked at me as if I was mad and said 'it should be out of your system by now (10 days)!! then he suggested my feelings of confusion etc were probably because I am depressed and needed a different anti-depressants! Have you had that sort of reaction from a Doctor? :-)  

• Posted

Sorry for late reply :-)

yes I have felt confusion, irritation, anger, depression and 'disconnectedness' as you say.

I haven't told my doctor, he will only tell me what is already recommended. I find we go to doctors in blind faith. i wish doctors had never prescribed this evil drug in the first place.

My reasoning for the withdrawal is not 'getting out of your system' as the doctor said. It is more about the chemical balance that was artificially interruupted when taking the medication. It's about the natural seratonin kicking in again, not depleting your system if that makes sense.

I admit I am doing it very tough this week! how are you travvelling?

• Posted

Hi, no worries re; late reply.

I agree I wish I had not taken the drug in the first place! mine you I have had moments over the last week or so where I have felt like going back on it again, just so I can think clearly! but I know it will probably cause more problems so I wont!

I did actually go back to my GP and she refered me to a Neurologist, so goodness know what he will say, probably nothing much!

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time too, fingers crossed tht we both come through this fog soon, its a nightmare trying to work at the moment, I feel sure I am making no sense to anyone! :-)

• Posted

I can't believe what I am reading, it is like a light has went off.  My cousin and I are like sisters and she has been telling me a lot of what I am feeling is due to this horrible drug, i have been on 10mg for 8 or so years now.

can someone please tell me if they ever start talking and stop midway sentence , for no reason at all and then carry on with your conversation, god this sounds worse in text , my memory is all over the place and very tired. Am I doing the safest thing by cutting down to every second night. Dam this.  And thankyou 'clairpip' your comment came up second in my google search, we will get there with support and being positive. Xxxooo

• Posted

Glad to have helped Janey1975!

Its hard to know the safest way to get off, Amitriptyline but most people say weaning is the best way so thats probably the thing to do, could you cut a tablet in half? and take half every night for a while and then quarter etc? I would not suggest stopping cold turkey as I did, on reflection I dont think it was the most sensible thing for me to do!

Lots of luck to you, you are right with support and positive thinking we will all be back to our old selves again I am sure :-)

• Posted

hi claire ive stopped taking this amiltripyline id been taking for anxiety. Ive done 8 days now and om extremely tired confused and tearful and  snappy and hope this improves soon. hope you are feeling better now x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.