Stopping Amlode

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ive been taking Amlode 5mgs daily since the 27th of September and have recently been experiencing some side effects , muscle pain , stiffness , back pain and mild depression . I want to stop taking it , can I just stop ?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I came off Amlodipine a couple of months ago because of the side effects but I did check with my GP. He agreed but upped my other meds to compensate. I would suggest that you speak to your doctor first. If you don't want to do that then perhaps you could taper the dose to 2.5mg for a while and then stop but you'll need to keep a close eye on your BP.

• Posted

Thanks for that , i'm not on any other meds at the moment although I had my bloods done last week and wouldnt be surprised if my cholesterol is up . I havent taken my dose today but I did consider talking half . I'll do that this evening .

I'm 72 and only went to my GP to get a form signed to renew my driving licence.

I am a retired nurse and I have to say I prefer not to take any meds because of the side effects.

• Posted

I totally agree with you. I steer as clear as possible of taking meds. You should be fine cutting down to half for a week then stopping. If I feel my bp has risen, slight headache and cheeks looking a bit glowing I sit in the quiet meditating (contemplating) for half an hour and it always does the trick. I am also 72 and take no meds if I can possibly avoid it. I feel the body can normally make adjustments and looks after it's self. Meds stop that natural process happening.

• Posted

My sentiments exactly ! So called 'alternative ' methods often work better than modern pharma-medicine which so often is hit-and -miss .

• Posted

I think that you need to keep taking it for a while. Most of the complaints you mentioned will soon lessen.

You may once a while feel the side effects of this drug. However, if these are unbearable then always discuss this with you doctor. He or she will likely recommend some other drug.

Never stop taking your medication just on your own.

Good luck!

• Posted

Well, I'm not sure those are really typical symptoms of amlodipine, but the answer is yes, you can stop taking it, it's not a drug that requires any special procedure for stopping.

However - has it been helpful for your BP? You might want another drug to take its place, if you are stopping.

Also amlodipine has a long half-life, around 35 hours, so when you stop it still takes several days for it to clear substantially from your system. For that matter they give you the small dose and when you start taking it, it takes several days for it to get up to full strength in your system. You've been on it a fairly short time, it's probably only been at full strength for two or three weeks, fwiw.

Of course this is all best discussed with your doctor.

• Posted

according to the accomanying leaflet 1in 100 people experience the symptoms Iv'e experienced

I will discuss it with my doctor soon .

• Posted

hi i can promise you they are side effects of this stuff being on them for 6 months ruined me.Doctor will definately say its not,but dont stay on them too long like i did.

• Posted

Wholeheartedly agree. I was on them for 4 months and along with the aches and pains, I also suffered heart palpitations, anxiety and more.

• Posted

hello digger

yes .. u can stop immediately .... however you cannot stop it permanently with finding an alternative with yr doc...

you will notice with days u feel better and yr bp may even drop

..... however .. this bnp will get elevated again after 2 weeks or so ...it applies whenever u change medication .. reaction period ..

hope thiis helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.