Stopping Amlodipine 2 weeks cessation.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Been off Amlodipine for nearly two weeks, Lower leg cramps are diminishing, nearly stopped. Very clear in my head, creative ideas are flowing again. Tiredness has gone. Moods are swinging quite a bit, but mainly upwards. finding myself getting bored if I'm not busy. Haven't felt like this for a while (didn't realise how little I was actually feeling). Blood pressure has been steady but higher today. Was 120/30 over 75/85, today 135/40 over 80/90. Hoping it's a glitch (drank a couple of glasses of Coke). I'll keep posting if anyone is interested.

3 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Paul, I saw the comments on amlodipine. I am 47 years old and did not really need to take amlodipine. My BP went up when I was sick and at doctors offices would go up to 138/80 approx. Everywhere else would be under 120. But did not have a machine to take it all the time. The doctors had put me on 10 mg when I had a severe sinus infection because it went up to 160/100. I stopped the 10 mg for 3 weeks and the whole 3 weeks my BP was anywhere from 100/76 to 127/87. However, after a week and a half of stopping it my chest hurt, my heart started skipping beats then when I'd lay down it would get worse and I could not breathe. Went to ER but echo showed slight valve leakage and they just sent me away. I went back to the 10mg of amlodipine besylate. My BP immediately went to 160/100 for several days. Then all chest pain and heart symptoms went away after about a week and a half and bp went back to normal. I saw a doctor I did not know and he said I was fine and needed to take the 10 mg. About 2 weeks after that I was able to get in to see my regular Dr. After telling her everything she said, You don't need the amlodipine besylate. She told me she would have me go off of it slowly. 5mg for two weeks and I could then stop it. She assured me that I would not have the same side effects. She also scheduled me to see a cardiologist due to ech and what I told her happened. After 1 week on the 5 mg I had severe chest pain again for 2 days, then it went away for 3 days, then for last 2 days I have had the irregular heart beat again and trouble breathing when I lay down. BP has been normal. Wondering if I can ever go off of amlodipine besylate. I see the cardiologist in another week. Not sure if I should keep taking the 5mg or go back to the 10mg. I am afraid I am damaging my heart. Thank you, Pam
    • Posted

Hi pamela67085....

Sorry you're having such a horrid time of things. Just so you know, & I've got this information from extremely reliable sources, you do NOT need to wean off Amlodipine. The smart thing in all of this is that your doctor is delving into the heart issue...For all you know, this could be what's causing the difficult breathing & irregular heartbeat. Best this is taken care of.

Please let us know how you get on. Best of luck!!!

• Posted

Thanks Mike, I had a very strong heart before amlodipine. Had an extensive workup with a cardiologist. He said I had a very strong heart. Strange all of this has happened suddenly in stopping amlodipine. Read on CDC website that stopping it suddenly can seriously damage your heart. I have also heard the opposite from doctors. Not sure what to think. I was in the Navy, stationed with the marines. I have always run 5 miles a day and exercised with Machines also daily. Not since heart started acting like this, scary! Pam
    • Posted

Hi again pamela67085...I have a few Pharmacist friends who both told me that it was not necessary to wean off Amlodipine. If you were on a Beta-Blocker that would be an entirely different story. My own Doctor said that stopping abruptly is fine too. So, with a few professionals telling me the same thing, of course I believed them, & did not have a problem stopping the Amlodipine.

Never will I take that drug again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.