Stopping AMLODIPINE ......experience explained .

Posted , 60 users are following.

Hello to everyone ..

I have benefited so much from the posts in the forum .. thanks ... I like to post a simple narration for those who are coming off it and share the experience or nightmare ...

It seems there are those with immediate bad effects with days of taking Am and those whose symtoms develop over months ... as long as 6 mths to even several years ..

I like to think that everyone will have a threshold .. where below that...one always assume is natural aging .. balance issues . Etc etc .... and once the symptoms cross that threshold .. you start to be very miserable and anxious .. so .. it may be that those who like me suffer after 6 mths ... actually have the issues but below the misery threshold.. and start to become bad to worse after 6 mths .....? This also complicated by other medications taken.....?

I think there are 2 groups of side effects .. 1. Primarily due to the drug in the system .. like the mental issues .. brain fog .. memory ... depression .. feelings of doom ...nauseous.. inability to think ... and 2 . Secondary due to the effects of the calcium mechanism altered by the drug itself ..possibly the aches .. pains ... joints.. leg swells.. etc etc etc....more physical stuff..

When Am is stopped ... based on the half like calculations.. it takes approx 12 days to clear the system... mainly most sufferers report an easing of the mental issues ....see a relief of the brain fog etc etc . However .. the physical issues seem to linger on and return on and off for some period of time .. definitely easing off in intensity and frequency .. but tapering off very slowly ...

This is my simple interpretation from the informative inputs and I wonder if there is a general concurence ?

Regards to all....

5 likes, 108 replies

108 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Chi,

A reasonable synopsis. It took a year to creep up on me, but as you have said, other medications and medical conditions can hide this and make us think it is natural ageing etc.

I seem to be different to others, I didn't suffer any side effects coming off it, but everyone is differently and our bodies all act differently.

• Posted

Hi RHGB

COULD you help us with

1. Time on Amlodipine

2. Time after stopping you eventually forgot or felt normal again ....

• Posted

Over a year, then went on felodipine and exactly the same happened.

I felt better fairly soon after, within a week. But I had a brain haemorrhage and liver failure and take lots of medication, so I (my body/mind) have become fairly tolerant to most things. The worst for me was oedema and that the diuretic didn't nothing for it, plus the shin scarring.

• Posted

If the time ever comes for me to get off Amlodipine and wean, I will have no fear of it since I succeeded weaning off Clonidine. Devine Inrervention and prayer helped me get off that drug, this one has no hold on me. I hate this drug and want changed, even better I am looking into natural alternatives to get off this poison. My Cardiologist ignores my complaints about the horrible side effects.

• Posted

Hi Chi000, thanks for summary. I was on Amlodipine for over 12 years. From approximately 2004 to 2011, I did not take it consistently so this is part of the reason that I missed the side effects or did not recognize that my digestive issue were being caused by it. In 2011, I tried to be more consistent but would occasionally forget to take it for several days.  I began to notice that the Gerds symptoms would subside a bit when I was not taking the Amlodipine (by this time I had been prescribed omeprazole).  It took several more years, 2 urgent care visits, 1 hospital stay, heart cath, not being able to eat vegetables, fruit and eventually protein without having discomfort  before I figured out the drug was causing the issues.  I went cold turkey for approximately a week and when my symptoms subsided I contacted my doctor about all the side effects.  

This forum has helped tremendously because on many occasions I thought it was my imagination. Now, after being off for approximately 6 months, I'm able to eat vegetables, fruit and protein and I no longer have to take omeprazole. 

I had to share after seeing your post and you have my general concurrence.  Thanks again for your posts. 

• Posted

Hi Mesirm

If you are 6 mths off .. these days .. do u still think of Amlodipine or still think there is something still attributable to it .. or mostly forgotten and u just came onto this forum by chance ...?

• Posted

Hi Chi000, not quite following your question. Please clarify. I joined this forum about 6 mos ago searching for answers/help. I read a review that sounded so similar to the side effects that I was experiencing. 
    • Posted

Hello Mesirm

Sorry .. what I mean was .. right now... after the problem subside ... do you still think about this Amlodipine or is completely off yr mental radar ...? Do you still dwell into this ...

Well .. reason being..... there are many posts here that are years old .. I wonder if those people have recovered and left and do not actively read the forum .. so is like completely recovered ... ?

• Posted

Chi000,  I receive email notifications from the forum and when I see Amlodipine in the subject line I'm compelled to read it.  I can relate to the suffering because I missed the point that I was being prescribed Omeprazole because of the side effects caused by the Amlodipine.  

At first, I thought my problems were heart related not realizing it was the Amlodipine side effects. It was so frightening thinking that it was the possibily my "ticker".  The cardiologist that prescribed it never mentioned digestive issues and insisted that I have a heart cath to rule out my heart.  He mentioned the swelling in ankles which I initially had but that side effect went away. The heart cath revealed mild CAD so I continued taking the amlodipine and omeprazole until I found this forum.  

Chi00, I hope this answers your question; however, if it does not let me know & I'll try again. 

• Posted

Hi Mesirm

Thanks! U sure answered.. I kind of forgotten about the forum notifications!!!

The shocking conclusion still is what this forum had done to help and what would have happened if we did not "stumble " upon this...

• Posted

Agree, Chi000.  I was struggling when I found this site. After reading so many of the reviews, I had the courage to discuss the problems with my PCP.  I'm very thankful and grateful for all the encouragement and ideas to help improve my quality of life. 

• Edited

Hi Chi000 & Mesirm & everybody else - just wanted to say thank you both, you have been a "lifeline" for me...thank you!  I am 60 days off the evil Amlodipine & just came off a week of horrific GERD, gas & bloating.  Chose not to go the conventional route of taking anti acid RX's & even my GERD RX that I was prescribed after my two Urgent care trips while on Amlodipine.  I started taking papaya enzymes with every meal, eating fresh papaya & pineapple during the day, eating sauerkraut, kefir, buttermilk and fermented veggies and lots & lots of ginger chews & my GERD, gas & bloat is gone, but it was a fairly miserable for a week.  Hopefully gone forever, but the papaya enzymes were a godsend.  I think this is a testament that we can heal our bodies with good ingredients.  When we have acid indigestion we don't need drugs to keep our bodies from producing acid, we need food to help balance our system.  This drug has wrecked havoc on me, but I am trying very hard to recover thru healthy nutrition, meditation, self-care and living in a stress controlled lifestyle.  We are living in a prescription drug culture,  we need to take back our bodies and try to get away from these drugs, because they all have side effects.  I know that there are drugs that some cannot live without, but I also believe in alternatives - we need to stop being guinea pigs - just my opinion. Thank god for this site!

• Posted

Debra, ...so happy for you. Agree with your comments.  Thank you for sharing!
    • Posted

Hi Debra, I'm been off it for 21 days and still feeling unwell. Wasn't sure if it's  the residual effects of Amlodipine or side effects of Indapamide which I'm taking now.  Then I saw that you had been off it for 60 days and are still suffering. I really feel for you. We take medication for one problem and end up with a whole other set of problems 🙁

Hope everyone starts feeling better soon. As you say 'thank god for this site!'

Christi

• Posted

Hello christi53

Good day .. are you feeling better after like 1 month now ?

• Posted

Hello debra16694

Are you feeling overall better now after more than 2 mths off Am ?

• Posted

Hi christi... how are u .. after 5 months .. ? Less bothered ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.