Stopping Bisoprolol

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi can anyone give me any advice about stopping Bisoprolol. I've been taking them for 11 days. Started on 1.25mg for a couple of days and went up to 2.5mg which I took for 7 days and for the past 2 days I've taken 1.25mg again. The reason I'm taking them is for slightly high BP (130/90) and anxiety. I have no heart problems. I really want to stop taking this drug as I feel horrible on it. Should I just stop and go cold turkey as I've not been on them long? Or better to take the 1.25mg for a couple of days and then halve that etc?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

You should always wean off, try half 1.25mg for a week and then even go to one third or every other day.

In my experience after being on 1.25 for a week then 2.5 for a week... coming down from 2.5mg I went 2.5, 2mg for 4 days, then 1.7mg 4 days, then 1.25mg, I'm then planning on slowly going down from there.

What I noticed is I felt AWFUL on 2.5mg tired groggy just like a zombie. I felt much better on 1.25, but I did have withdrawl effects with every reduction ie heart a little up and down anxiety shaky etc. So it could be that right now even being on 1.25mg you're still feeling some withdrawal from the 2.5mg.

For me personally it would go like this :

2.5mg

Day 1 2mg

Day 2 2mg

Day 3 2mg WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS

Day 4 2mg slight anxiety then normal again

Day 1 1.7mg

Day 2 1.7mg

Day 3 1.7mg WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS

Day 4 1.7mg slight anxiety then normal

Like you I was only on these drugs a short while. But the side effects were awful. There is potential that after a month or so your side effects would lessen but personally I'd rather be off it. I don't find the withdrawal symptoms that bad personally, but definitely not pleasant

• Edited

Thank you so much for your reply. So helpful. I've taken a quarter of the 2.5mg talbet today. So roughly 0.6mg. I'll do that for 4 days and then maybe half of that for a few days and then stop. I felt awful on them, sleep disturbances, muscle twitching, extreme anxiety, no energy. I'd rather have the withdrawal symptoms and get it out of my system. Heart rate has definitely increased today. Resting at 78 bpm where it was in the 60s.

What side effects did they give you? I'm having severe sleep issues where I drop off and then my body jerks me awake. I've also got a continuous pressure in my left ear and head. Not nice.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

• Posted

With due respect why on earth are you taking advise on a heart medication from a complete stranger (however well intended) than your doctor?

• Posted

Hi John,

I think sometimes doctors do not believe that there are withdrawals from these medications. |They believe that after a very short time, it is out of your system and there are no withdrawals after that.

My doctor did not believe that withdrawals exist with biso.He was so wrong. I went through hell with just stopping it as requested by my cardiologistNever again!!!!

It opened up a whole can of worms for me A really long story........

• Posted

Lolasmom are you here ?

are you good now ?

I hope that you are Good

I don't want to scare you but this is the truth

I was in Bisoprolol just two months I was taking 10 mg ,Because my blood pressure is a little high, and it was the worst day of my life. I became like an old man. My body shivering, cold feet, dizziness, dizziness and ringing in the ears. I stopped taking it only after two months of using it. Loss of energy most of the time, foggy head and dizziness sometimes I feel better, but the adrenaline in our bodies is rushing with force. I give up and I have no solution but to take vitamins. I do not want to be negative, but I am afraid that it will not come out of my body. I am 39 years old, I admit that the tinnitus with time has improved, I just feel With a band in the ear, but ringing in the ears.Coolness in the body, especially in the legs Note: Do not ask the doctor, because it will worsen your condition. Do not use any medication. Pregnancy and time will end this despicable drug that caused me anxiety and incomprehensible fear

Note : I haven't taken medication for 20 months and still a lot of withdrawal

• Posted

hello tyler ,

your advice have been really useful as im currently going through the same thing.

would you mind telling what were your withdrawal symptoms and how long did they last after your last dose!

how long did you take bisoprolol before deciding to wean off.

thanks a lot

• Posted

how do you half a 1.25 tablet with no score line? ive read its not equal throughout tablet so halfing it doesnt mean its half of 1.25?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.