Stopping Block and Replace - what to expect?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on block and replace for a year following a thyrotoxic storm last year. I have been to see my endocrinologist today and he has stopped by block and replace therapy as we have reached the anniversary of it starting and he wants to see if my system has reset itself. This is complicated by the results of my antibody test which shows that I am more than double the desired level, which indicates the genetic cause of my Graves disease and increases my chances of a relapse. I have also developed large multi-cystic nodules on my thyroid, with one of them being about 6 cms in diameter .

It would be great to hear from anyone who has stopped block and replace. I would really like to know what to expect as my thyroid starts to work again and if anyone has had a relapse and how long after stopping this happened. I am positive about stopping the medication and I really hope that things will now settle but I am really unsure what to expect.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I wish you well and will follow this discussion as i too am approaching one year of my hyperthyroid / GRAVES occuring . my ENDO STILL HAS ME ON 2.5 daily methomazole and i am gaining weight. antibodie levels are in normal range ... when you say "more than double the desired level" please explain ? level of what?

also i am unfamiliar with the term block and replace ??? i do understand that the methomazol blocks the production of thyroid hormone by limiting iodine uptake but thats it ... what is the replace?

• Posted

Hi,

I have been on 40 of Carbimazole to block my thyroid from producing any thyroid hormones and then 125 of Levothyroxine to replace the thyroid hormone. I have been on this for a year and my levels are now all in the normal range. However my endo has now stopped all medication so that we can see if my system has reset itself. I was tested to see if my antibody levels were in the normal range as this can be an indicator of potential relapse - it should be typically 1.5 but my antibody levels were 3.5 which is over double the 'norm' which means I have a greater chance of relapse as the reason for Graves Disease is genetic. When I was really ill last year my antibody levels were 6.5! I am on day 4 of no medication and don't feel any different s all good so far.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.