Stopping blood thinners

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on xarelto for about 3 months and my doc wants me to stop as his recommended treatment was 3 months. I'm really nervous and scared to stop bc I'm scared I will have another clot. Anyone else ever go through this anxiety

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi bdf035,

I was on xeralto for three months as well!! The second scan showed no dvt in my right calf!! But I’m still in pain and the doctor is saying that sometimes it is due to scar tissue damage cause of the clot!! I’ll give it another couple of weeks if it’s no better I’ll be going to another ultrasound place!! My blood test results were all normal after the clot diagnosis so they put it down to the contraceptive pill being the cause!! That’s why they said three months was long enough to be on blood thinners (no longer on the pill)!! 

• Posted

Hi, I'm still on X but when I thought I was coming off it a few months back I was very anxious. It's natural & I think you'll fine most people feel that he same. I guess we have to trust our doctor. All the best I'm sure it'll get easier as time goes on

• Posted

Hi 

If you go on the Facebook Page called Thrombosis UK, which is for people who have had treatment because of a clot, you will see how common this is and also get as much support and advice as you need - everybody is lovely on there.

I have no clinical knowledge about this but would recommend that if you are not happy about the advice being given, your are entitled to a second opinion 

• Posted

Ok, not to sound ignorant, but I've already thought about this and immediately decided that once taken off the Xeralto that I would replace it with an aspiren once a day. That eased my mind. 

• Posted

Thanks. I'm really anxious that every pain I feel is a new blood clot. I am sure it is really normal to feel this way. Doesn't make it easier though. I will check out that Facebook page. Thanks. 

• Posted

Hi. 

This sounds exactly how my daughter felt and it is very common. In her case she began to have panic attacks which were very distressing. So it is not just nothing and I feel for you having seen somebody go through it.

The thing which helped my daughter was a physio who kept advising her to keep doing gentle exercise despite the pain and this meant she was able to do more and more and she felt much more in control. And she also used an app called Cslm to help her to deal with the anxiety

So be kind to yourself; it is not silly to be anxious. And if it gets overwhelming seek some support.  Good luck 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.