Stopping citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been on 30mg citalopram since July and I feel fine, thinking of weaning myself off it. Anyone else done this and is it easy!!! 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I came off it last year and weaned myself from 20mg to 15mg over a week, then 10mg and finally 5mg.  I then took 5mg every other day for a week then stopped.  So it took a month.

I had withdrawl symptoms - nausea, heady, trembling, and a strange electric like feeling in my head that felt like little shocks.  The side effects weren't that bad or frightening, just a bit unpleasant and strange.  Manageable.  If you do it too quick I believe the withdrawl symptoms can be a bit worse.  I think the slower, the better and the less symptoms you'll get.

I felt flat the first few weeks after that, then found I was ok for a year.  Sadly I restarted them 3 months ago due to coping with family illness - I got really stressed which was making me ill.  Hoping to come off them again when things are more settled.

Best to talk with your doctor for his/her advice first though.

Hope that's helps. xx

• Posted

Thanks for ur reply, I was thinking of reducing to 20 mgs for a couple of weeks then ten and finally five. Sorry to hear u had to restart them, I'm hoping if I do this slow enough I should be ok. Gonna keep a diary over the coming weeks, write down how I'm feeling as i reduce the dose. Hope u feel better soon x 
    • Posted

Yes sounds a good plan - doing it slowly and you get less withdrawl symptoms (hip though be prepared to get some maybe).

I'm feeling much better now I'm back on the medication and past the side effects thanks, and hope to reduce them when the time is right (probably next year).

Good luck with reducing them, and hope it's a smooth ride for you.

K xx

• Posted

hip?  don't know why that word crept in lol
  • Posted

As far as I understand it can take up to three months to have an affect. So it would be about right if you're starting to feel better.  Discuss with your doctor the best way to reduce your dosage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.