Stopping Citalopram

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been on 20mg of cit for exactly 2 weeks. If I stop this medication do I need to wean off of it or can I just stop outright since I've only been on for 2 weeks? Any advice it appreciated. Thank you!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi..... I think the best thing really is to chat with your doctor you have obviously been put on them for a reason ... I don't think you would have a prob stopping them at this stage but maybe a visit and chat with your own doctor would be beneficial ... bug hugs X X
  • Posted

No.  You have to wean yourself off.  Ask your dr how to go about it.

lynda

• Posted

Why would you want to stop before you give it a chance??? 8 weeks is good but talk to your GP before doing ANYTHING.
  • Posted

Hi Tcaro,

What reason are you after stopping For?

Is it the side effects?

It is tough at the beginning.

If the doctor has prescribed them and you need them then you need to carry on longer to give them chance to work.

You could always go back and speak to the doctor and also you could read some of the comments on the forum and get some feedback.Youre not alone.,

Shazzer.X

• Posted

Ho tcaro,

WHOAH! And a big NO! You cannot just stop at this stage!!!

Whether 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months and so forth and so on, once Cita is in your system you need to wean yourself off very gradual and slowly. If your Dr is up on "sticking plasters for the brain" then she/he can advise you about the best way to do this.

Just stopping or reducing too fast will give you withdrawl, trust me I am reducing at the moment. In fact I need to update other forumers about my progress. So, you may wish to read that in a moment.

As someone already raised your Dr prescribed them for a reason are you really sure you want to stop when you have not given Cita a chance?

Please do not do anythiing in haste.

Best regards and assurance,

David

• Posted

Hi tcaro20 

I remember feeling hideous at week 2 and also thought about stopping. So pleased I persevered I'm like a new person.

My daughter is going through her final year at school and could not have coped without the citalopram. Just accept feeling anxious but little by little you will get better. Take the advice of the others and talk to your doctor don't just stop by yourself. I know it's horrible but you have to hang on tight!

• Posted

Hi I have been wondering the same thing.  I have been on 5 mg for four days.  It gave me anxiety and early waking.  So have dropped back to 2.5 mg in the mornng.  I am having to take extra anti anxiety meds to cope.  But my pharmacist said i should stay on them at 2.5 for 7 days.  So I will persist to get off them.  By the way they were prescribed for anxiety and my belief is that was caused by my doctor prescribing anti anxiety drugs for a week to sleep and this was too much for my delicate system.  A bloody medication nightmare.  I think the shrink is way off beam prescribing citalopram for me. but it so hard to not accept that the professional is right.  Wish me luck back there tomorrow.
  • Posted

By the way the royal college of psychiatrists has a pamphlet on line for coming off anti depressants.  They say if you have been on 8 weeks you can safely come of in 1-2 weeks.  However saying that.  I was on this drug for 3years and it took me 1 and half years of slow titration to come off.  reducing in 4-6 week cycles.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Marbel,

I hope you don't mind me coming in here on your conflab with tcaro, but sometimes one just has to, to possibly help.

Have you posted a discussion about yourself here yet? We strongly support Dr and the medics (even pharmacists!), but I think you do need to post a discussion here for that extra and real help from people who know what you are going through and some have been there, I can assure you!

Best Regards,

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.