Stopping drinking by myself

Posted , 9 users are following.

I really want to stop drinking i drink most days normally between 4-6 cans of cider sometimes i binge up to 12 though normally starting around 12pm . I cant ask for help as have already been warned if i admit to drinking more than 4  (from 7pm) cans i will have to have supervision whilst looking after my children sad

any advice on how to stop would be great

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Anna, I am sad to read your post.  I am not a counsellor or 'wise woman' but I do sense that you really want to give up the drink.  But I know that you will not be able to do it properly without proper help.  You have to think of your children Anna they should be more important to you than the cider.  Is your GP approachable or maybe the nurse at the surgery.  Your GP  will be able to put you in touch with professionals who understand your alcohol dependency and will support you with the children.  I cant give advice on how to stop and you shouldn't  just stop or you could become ill.  I am having my first home detox in a few weeks - fingers crossed.  Ask for help Anna. x
  • Posted

Hi - im sorry that you are having a tough time - ironically i am in a similar state and found myself on here looking for information and help. I have used Drinkaware etc before too but never reached out and tried to quit alone instead. The urge to stop is overwhelming and i hate myself for giving in to alcohol on an almost daily basis. I use it as a tool to cope with severe depression and i realise that im doing myself no favours, i have tried Addaction and other local services - even AA which i hated.The last drink i had was last night and i have not bought any today but i do feel bloomin awful physically. My drink is also cider or beer - never spirits, it is very hard work to stop - i wish you well and try and get some support if you can ie GP etc.
    • Posted

Tough to get through and the main problem is that the alcohol will make you more depressed or down. Sorry, but it is fact that it is only for a short time that you feel great when drinking and have the choice of carrying on or stopping and once you wake up?? Sorry to be negative and perhaps others have different and better advice than me?? What group or where to look?? Not certain since you have tried diffrerent avenues..people here can actually guide you better than most professionals and Paul Turn 1964 is brilliant...look him up and read some of his advice..best of luck...            smile
    • Posted

Hi Robin apologies for having not replied, terrible 12 days i have to say. I did manage to stay off alcohol for a good 4 days, and felt better physically but not mentally. Long story short i have had real bad issues with mental health since the 90s after leaving the RAMC and whilst you are quite right, and also i am more than aware - drinking only provides temporary relief but will also exascerbate the whole thing. Im on lots of meds for the depression etc and have regular contact - but it does show or demonstrate in some way how powerful being attached to alcohol is. Thanks for your wishes - i return the same :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.