Stopping Lorazepam after 20 years. Just started 2 days ago.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been on Lorazepam for about 20 years for sleep due to anxiety. 3 mg a night.

also have severe idiopathic neuropathy, degenerative joint disease, degenerative disc disease and much more. Had ACDF neck surgery 2 years ago and might need another one. Been on 5/325 hydrocodone for 10 or more years. 4 pills a day.

so beings Arizona is changing its law, I can not get subscribed both. They are trying to taper me off Lorazepam. 2nd day is killing me. They cut me down 1 mg and I haven't slept but one hour. Dr. subscribed 2 mg of tiZANidine to take with the 2 mg of Lorazepam. Does not do anything for me. I am 61 years old and wish there was a better way of stopping the Lorazepam. Going to talk to Doctor on Monday. Any help is appreciated. Very new to blogs. smile

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well, I am down to 1 mg a night. It has taken me 2 and a half months to go down from 3 mg. Feeling a little better. Kinda hard at times and then last night bam! i got a lot of sleep. Hope to be down to .5mg by December and be off it by January. We can all do this. Believe in yourselves and know that it will only get better when you are off these benzo drugs. I wish everyone the best of luck in doing this. Let's do it for the Holidays. What a way to start our new year. Love to all of you! Thank you, Gay

• Posted

Wow Gay,

That is awesome...you feel empowered I'll bet by your success and knowing your going to do it...I know I did....I had to get into that mindset to do it but once I did, I managed to battle through.

I have been off them at night for about 3 months now and try not to use them for panic attacks either like I used to...I did one day and knew I'd suffer afterwards which I did...

Anyway, hats off to you for plowing on with it and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Cheers,

Gina

• Posted

Cut no more than 10% every 2-4 week's. Read up on Ashton's manual.

My tapering 3-5% maximum every 2-4 week's. Anymore and you risk having

seizures

• Posted

Thank you Kev for the info. you are right. I am not going to push this too hard. I see the doctor tomorrow and am letting them know that. Just got normal on the 1 mg and want to stay that way a while. I only have the 2 mg pills to split, but will ask this doctor to replace some of them with 1 mg and 0.5 mg. Hard to get a good cut on one pill. Greatly appreciated. Gay

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.