Stopping methemazole cold Turkey

Posted , 1 user is following.

hey I know this chat is super old but I had a few concerns.

So I was diagnosed with graves disease about 3 weeks ago. (I'm 15)My endocrinologist started me on methemazole and a beta blocker. Things were going pretty well and my thyroid levels were leveling out and all that good news.

Well, about 4 or 5 days ago my joints started swelling and hives and anaphylaxis (y'know, an allergic reaction)

I went to the er and they transferred me to my local rainbows children's hospital and they kept me for 2 days to monitor the allergic reaction. They completely cut me off of methemazole and send me home with an epinephrine auto injector. My reaction is basically gone and I am no longer at risk for rebound anaphylaxis. it's been about 3 days since I abruptly stopped my medicine and I'm getting a lot of muscle pain and irritability. is this normal?

I've also been sleeping on the couch in my parents room but I've done that before and I dont get this level of pain. I can barely move my right arm above my head and it hurts pretty bad 😕 I'm also going on a diet for my radioactive iodine scan and ablation.

Anybody have any advice? Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.