stopping methotrexate because of nausea

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi - I've been on Methotrexate since Sept last year (and hydroxychlorquine which I started in July) but am stopping this week as the nausea is just getting too much. The rhuemy says this way they'll be able to see if it is the drug that is making me sick and might be able to swap it for something else... anyone else been through this? Anyone know how quickly the sickness might go (and the pain come back although to be honest there is still pain even now anyway!)

Thanks 

Jo

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi jo many tablets do you take with methotrexate i got put up to 20mg from 15mg and to be honest since i started them last september i have been fine with taking them...no nausea but i had to stop hydroxychlorquine as they was not agreeing with me hope other medication you start works better fir you
  • Posted

Have you tried taking folic acid on everyday day except day you day methotrexate or ask for injection. I just stop it because my hair was falling out and he said should take 2/4weeks before difference.
  • Posted

You can try the MTX injections Jo. I take the tablets 15mgs at present and folic acid once a week. I feel sick after I've taken them but I go to bed and sleep it off. I have slight nausea on and off for two days afterwards but it's very slight and does not last. I recommend you ask to try the injections. Many people on the HealthUnlocked site have done this and it always solves their stomach problems because the injection bypasses the digestive system. They use an epipen not an old fashioned syringe. Angela.
    • Posted

I am the same as u angela 20mg of mtx and folic acid day after do u find the mtx helps ur pain i like jo still have pain in hands and wrists best keep taking them as told ..
    • Posted

Hi Bob. Yes, I think I can say my RA is controlled with MTX. I had terrible hair loss the first time I tried it and had to stop, but the second time I lost hair and then it regrew thank goodness. As I say, only slight nausea. I developed Polymyalgia Rheumatica a year ago though, and I'm treated with Prednisolone for this. I'm down to 5mgs daily which might also be helping my RA. I do have aches and pains, mostly muscles of arms, shoulders, thighs and hips, but I also have wrist pain, and hands and feet (where my RA was diagnosed) but there is no redness or swelling there at all. Sometimes I'm not entirely sure which is which. I might be increasing MTX at my next appointment in an attempt to reduce the steroids further, not sure yet. I have regular blood tests, have just had one this week, and my CRP and ESR levels checked. Will see what my rheumatologist says. Angela
  • Posted

i'm on 20mg now (started on 10mg for a week, then 15mg then 20mg all the rest of the time) and yes, taking folic acid every day except MTX day. Hair is fine, just feeling (and being) sick maybe 4-5 days a week. 

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are feeling rough.when I was on methotrexate it made me feel sick so was advised to split dose throughout day which solved problem. Hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi, I had nausea on methotrexate and switched to injections over 3 years ago.  I have not felt any nausea since.  I am on folic acid everyday except the day that I inject.  Its worth a try.
  • Posted

Hurrah - the team have decided I can go straight onto injections without having to retry the tablets - such a relief! I'm going to have a quick course of steroids too so everything gets a bit less painful and knackering. Never thought I'd be happy to be starting injections!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.