Stopping mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have recently stopped taking mirtazapine. I was on it for 2 1/2 weeks as it didn’t agree with me - long story. How long does it take to stop having withdrawal symptoms. The issues I had with it have resolved themselves but the last few days I have started feeling nauseous in the mornings. I stopped taking it a week ago.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I tried to come off this tablet at low dose and its difficult. I'm on 3.75 mg. That's a half of half a tablet. Full dose was 15mg then cut back to half, 7. 5 mg, now on half of that, 3.75ng.I've come off totally but after a week I get really anxious especially first thing in the morning. This does subside. Feel nauseous but take anti sickness tablet. Another thing I've noticed is runny nose on the morning but I think this is due to antihistamine effect of tablet is wearing off. I'm sticking with lose dose for now as its keeping me ok and coping with life. I would rather stay on lose dose than feeling on edge . I know everyone reacts differently to this tablet. Side effects of withdrawal can be short or long term. It's trail and error I'm afraid.

• Posted

Thanks that really helped, I’ve also had a runny nose as well like I’m getting a cold.

i shall keep off it but was concerned withdrawl symptoms still going on after a week when I was only on it for 2 and a bit weeks!

• Posted

What dose were you at?  Your story sounds similar to my own, especially the nausea.  I was on 7.5 for about 2-2.5 weeks and then decided the drug was not going to work out for me.  I tapered from 7.5 mg to 3.5 mg to 1.875 mg  to 0 over about a 2-week period.  Once I discontinued completely, I started experiencing withdrawal effects after about 3-4 days.  Twitching, brain/body zaps.  It took about a week for these symptoms to subside.  You should not stop the drug cold turkey.
    • Posted

i was on 7.5 mg.

I stopped as it was causing me pain and thought at such a small dose I wouldn’t really need to taper down as I didn’t think I’d get withdrawal symptoms. 

It’s been a week so hopefully will wear off soon. 

• Posted

Hi Becky I have been on Mirt for 2.5 weeks. For stress & anxiety to help me sleep. I have had a lot of side effects & am now not sleeping. I am now seriously thinking of stopping. The Dr wants to put me up to 30mg. I tried taking 30mg for 2 nights ... but it made my heart beat faster. I went back to 15mg.. I noted you had stopped taking it a while ago. I hope you are doing OK... I would be grateful for some advice. I know when i go back to my GP she will want me to continue taking it. Many Thanks Maggiex

• Posted

Hi Becky I have been on Mirt for 2.5 weeks. For stress & anxiety to help me sleep. I have had a lot of side effects & am now not sleeping. I am now seriously thinking of stopping. The Dr wants to put me up to 30mg. I tried taking 30mg for 2 nights ... but it made my heart beat faster. I went back to 15mg.. I noted you had stopped taking it a while ago. I hope you are doing OK... I would be grateful for some advice. I know when i go back to my GP she will want me to continue taking it. Many Thanks Maggiex

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.