stopping mirtazapine after 10 days??

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI ALL,

can taking mirtazipine for 10 days cause with drawel symptoms? i never took it last night and still fighting in my head whether i should take them or not, a bit scared of the side effects and being dependant on anti depressants?

thanks

xxx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

If the Mirtazipine has not had time to improve your depression, I`m assuming that is what you take it for. Then you should be Ok without it. If your GP has prescribed it off license as a sleep aid, then I would imagine that rebound insomnia could be a problem.

What dose were you prescribed, and what was it for?

Stopping taking antidepressants isn`t something you should do without your doctors advice.

Ask a health professional, (dial 111 and ask to talk to a nurse if you`re in the UK).

BTW, although the BNF recommends a tapered withdrawal from this drug, it isn`t addictive in the same way as Benzodiazapines (valium etc.), or sleeping drugs like Zopiclone. Most people who have been taking it for some time will have problems stopping taking it, if only because they find their depression returning, I don`t think that taking it for 10 days puts you in this category, though I am not a doctor, I do take Mirtazipine.

• Posted

Hey give it a chance, it didn't work for me but it has a very good reputation and has brought a lot of people out of the darkness. Give it a chance and don't be afraid of being dependent on them, this is a temporary phase in your life and it will get better. If your doctor has prescribed you Mirtazipine then I suggest you take it for three weeks and be consistent as skipping days isn't good and don't drink alcohol either as that kind of ruins the process. After three weeks see how you feel and remember this medicine may change your life and when your depression is lifted then you can stop taking the medicine as instructed by your doctor. Only on the darkest nights do the stars shine more brightly. Be strong you are beautiful.
  • Posted

thank you so much for your replies

i was given them for depression 15 mg for 2 weeks then i was to go to 30, ive fought through 4 and half years of trying not to go on these, i lost my little girl shortly after birth due to medical neglect, then had 2 more little girls, a few operations and had alot of eating problems, on top of all this i had some major family problems. which is why i think they prescribed me this, to help with eating as well as depression.

already i have put on a few pounds, and i really dont want to put on much more as i have managed to lose 7 stone, and scared this puts me back (although i do need a few more pounds) i keep reading about people having rage a few weeks into this medication and that scares me, especailly as i have my little ones to look after. also i dont want to be on it long term,

i want to feel normal again, just not sure if this is the way to go about it, on the other hand i have tried so hard on my own not to, ended up so bad theuy thought i had ms, things were looking grim for me health wise for a bit........but kind of looks like stress now.

i didnt like the side effects i had but they werent as bad as i thought,and i did feel a bit happier after a few days.ive spent the last 2 weeks driving myself insane about whether i should take them or not., and this sounds really bad but i dont like the idea that i cant go out and have a drink long term either ( not that i do often)

thanks xxx

• Posted

To Lisa, I'm so sorry about he loss of your child and your medical and eating problems. I take mirtazapine now consistently. I have not gained weight and it hasn't increased my appetite. I'm slowly being able to function better without feeling terribly tired which caused me to stop taking it a few times.When I stopped I suffered insomnia. I was prescribed 15 mg. but because of the fatigue problems the MD told me to cut the 15 mg. tablet in half. I'm getting used to mirtazapine (it took awhile) and it has helped to alleviate some of the sadness I was experiencing at the loss of my husband of 43 years. If you find any medication causing too many side effects and making you even more sick then you must see your doctor. Each person is different and the reactions to any medication differ. I have a friend who claims that mirtazapine saved her life and yet others have a hard time with it. Sometimes you have to give it a try and the side effects will may diminish. Stopping without medical advice is unwise. I hope you get relief very soon.
  • Posted

As they are for depression, then personally I would persist with them. I was given every antidepressant on the market for over 10 years before I finally got onto Mirtazapine (after being sectioned 3 times, and sewn back together by a plastic surgeon), since then I have been on 45mg at night, and I wouldn`t dream of not taking them if there was even the slightest chance of falling back into depression, I don`t need to explain this to you.

Mirtazapine is one of the more effective drugs, and initially you may develop a sweet tooth, and put on a little weight, but I`m sure you can stand this (and they can be addressed in other ways),rather than being depressed.

Also the sweet tooth, drowsiness in the morning and so on do tend to fade as you continue taking them, and also (hopefully) feel a lot less depressed :-)

Wishing you all the best for the future

Paul

• Posted

mirttazapine has affected my weight drastically, i am just about to start reducing the dose as I am feeling a bit better, it is a catch 22 situation, i put on weight with the meds and now feel depressed beacause of the weight!!!!!
  • Posted

Debbie, How right you are - Catch 22 indeed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.