Stopping Mirtazapine - Gastro intestinal problems

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi folks,

I was on 45mg Mirtazipine for about four years. I started a tapered reduction six months ago, finishing completely at the end of January. Since then I started to have gastro intestinal problems of various sorts - Gut discomfort, bloating, wind, pains, going to the toilet multiple times each day, although not diarrhea. In fact constipation at times. Symptoms would come and go and would vary each day. All the symptoms of IBS or other gastro intestinal problems and relieved at times by Buscopan and Gaviscon. I tried to alter my diet without any success as sometimes some foods would appear to cause problems, some times not! I read here and on the web that withdrawal from anti depressants can be related to these problems I was having, so, reluctantly, I started back on 15mg daily. From the first dose, four days ago the symptoms seem to have disappeared! I am happy that they appear to have gone but wonder if other people have experienced the sudden cessation of symptoms the moment they return to the drug? It seems unlikely to me that starting the drug again would result is such rapid results? Any thoughts?

Graham

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.