Stopping PPIs, your experience

Posted , 6 users are following.

I did it. I weaned off PPIs after two months of 80 mg pantoprazole/protonix, for about 2 weeks. I know I went fast but the side effects were killing me. I was most probably misdiagnosed with LPR , when in reality i had a bad sinus infection.

As it usually goes for other people, i was perfectly fine for the first 5 days. Then my symptoms got back. Headaches, nausea, sinus pressure. Its been about 10 days now.

How long do I have to wait to for my body to return to normal?

What was your experience with stopping PPIs?

Thank you for reading this smile

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Wait, how did they misdiagnose a bad sinus infection with LPR? 
  • Posted

Was on them for 3 years. Tapered from 40mg to 10mg then to 5mg. Takes 6 months plus to feel anywhere near normal, be prepared to take a ton of Gaviscon Advance. Tablespoon after everything meal. Even if it is a snack, crisps, fruit etc.

• Posted

Is it OK to take so much Gaviscon? I've read that it can cause stones in kidneys (

• Posted

Sadly, but i don't have good experience of stopping them. It can be normal for 2 month, but then all symptoms are coming back(

But i hope you will be more lucky wink

• Posted

I was on 20 mg and I went to every other day and then stopped completely. I didn't have more symptoms, they stayed about the same so the PPI's weren't actually doing anything for me. I kept taking the ranitidine for a while, sometimes twice a day, until I was able to get off of another medication that was aggravating my GERD. I am now largely GERD free.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.