Stopping propranolol

Posted , 4 users are following.

i take propranolol 40mg every morning for anxiety and panic attacks i have been taking it for the last 4 years and they make me feel much calmer and have reduced my panic attack. Im trying to conceive and my doctor has told me to just stop them completely as they would be harmful to the baby. Ive been off them for a week and feel worse i feel anxious sick and have been having stomach cramps all week and had to take one yesterday as i was feeling really bad. Has anyone else stopped taking them and felt worse? i was thinking of trying 20mg to wean myself off but not sure if its a good idea and would it be ok if i tried cutting a 40mg tablet in half and just try that. Ive just feel like i was managing my anxiety and now its really bad

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I stopped taking then about a month ago, I felt a little funny on and off for a few weeks but its getting less and less as time goes on.

My advice is to take more time for yourself to relax and look at mindfullness.

Good luck !

• Posted

Your doctor is talking out of his backside telling you it would be harmful to your baby! Ive been on this drug for over 40 years and have had two beautiful healthy sons one who is now 37 and the other 34. initially I was on 40g three times a day for palpitations, eptopic beats and terrible panic attacks. Over the years I have learned various coping mechanisms and havent had a panic attack in donkeys years. I now take 40g once a day. it would do you no harm to try half a tablet. if you are determined to come off them altogether then please do it gradually. Propranalol is one of the safest of the beta blockers and the doseage you are on is very low. GOOD LUCK x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.