Stopping Sertraline Cold Turkey

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone had experience of stopping Sertaline Cold Turkey?

I am sick of how it is making me feel

Shakes

Bad Anxiety

Dark thoughts

Bad insomnia

Upset tum

I could go on..

I know you are not supposed to stop dead plus the 10% a month drop or slow taper but has anyone got experience of stopping Sert cold turkey, I am moving to Trazadone and am really bad on Sert.

Thanks for your comments

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I stopped cold turkey after taking 50mg for 8/9 weeks due to a sever reaction the mild reactions whilst in it were twitching and heart flutters then one weekend I started to vomit violently with intense heart pulpitations and pains in my arms also made me super paranoid after reducing my anxiety it flared up ten fold! So after a trip to A&E and calling out the paramedics I stopped them. I am a few weeks in and I have had no side effects at all my body feels much better hower my anxiety is a problem still. 

• Posted

Well, I don't have direct experience of this but I did stop prozac cold turkey a long time ago, as my doctor told me this would be fine. It was horrible, I had intense diziness and anxiety for around 2-3 weeks but eventually it did subside. I have only been on sertraline a few days and I'm thinking of quitting already because I just feel agitated, exhausted, not sleeping and sick. I need help for my anxiety but I'm not sure I can do this sad

• Posted

Hey

I stopped Sertraline 100mg cold turkey 3 weeks ago, as I have an eating disorder and it made me gain 2st and I work out and eat so well and can't seem to lose any weight and gained out of nowhere! My docs tried to tell me it wasn't the meds but I had no change in eating and actually run more now. 

It started making My anxiety/depression worse and I couldn't get an appt w/ my doc until tomorrow (we Scots have this issue) so I decided to stop cold turkey as my old gp told me to this when I took Fluexotine.

I was getting awful headaches, tiredness, brain fog, light headed, nauseous, very short tempered (still experiencing this way off for me) and generally feeling very uptight. I had a mental breakdown the other week but I don't think this was just cause the tabs but I had been feeling extremely more depressed. 

But I got terrible side effects on them, it's nearly a month since I stopped and I feel a lot better but still angst and snappy (my partner has really noticed this) or crying at silly things but I'm powering through as my sexual libido is back and I'm not feeling as sluggish anymore.

Be careful and good luck, I'm seeing my gp tomorrow and will catch up.

• Posted

Hi all!  Well I have been on Sert for over five years and on a 125mg dose per day.  14 days ago during Christmas I decided to stop it as I was having a bit of alcohol and anyway with New Year I felt that I had been dumping too many drugs on my system for too long.  So I read up on it and saw the lists of possible side-effects ...and simply stopped.  Not a lot happened - none of my family noticed.  I perhaps had some more wakeful nights and a brief sensation of dizziness when lying down or getting up.  Of course any mood issues one can dismiss as 'probably not me but triggered by the change in medication' - probably about the best defence against suicidal thought I know!  Oh I have also had the satisfaction of losing 10kg in 100 days by counting calories and eating less (bit slow because of Christmas mind!) which was an instruction from my Respiratory Consultant (excess weight is the No 1 issue when one's body is struggling for oxygen apparently).

?So, as with most things, monitoring and management seem to be key.  No doubt if I felt the well of despair opening up I would/will go back on them...they are useful at cushioning the bleaker emotions.  We are all different of course.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.