Stopping taking propranolol 10mg suddenly? help please!

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello,

I used to have severe anxiety attacks and I've been on 10mg of propranol once a day for the last 4 months (plus xanax in the first few weeks). recently i feel like being recovered and not needing propranolol anymore. but I've heard that if you stop taking these pills suddenly you may put your heart at the risk of heart attack (i skipped taking it few times but i guess it kind of triggered panic attacks for me). anyway, since this dosage seems low is it ok if i dont take them from now on suddenly? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

No. Do not so talking them suddenly. What dose are you on?
    • Posted

Meant to say.. Don't stop taking them suddenly.
  • Posted

Hi, I would so NOT recommend STOPPING without TAPERING! I was on a lower dosage (less than 3 mg/day) and I had pounding heart palpitations that were overwhelming me at work. It was very distressing because it had absolutely nothing to do with anxiety (happened when sitting calmly, randomly). Please do yourself a favor, and avoid withdrawals to your brain. I learned the hard way that all of these types of meds (I also quit Xanax over 4 months tapering, as I also hit hard quitting cold turkey...it was a nightmare)... these meds ALL affect your BRAIN... With Xanax, for example, I learned that the med made my brain stop making GABA naturally (needed to function)...because the xanax replaces the GABA. Pretty serious stuff here with withdrawals.

I wanted to respond to you because you sound just like me, worried and trying to make a decision soon. Trust me, you need to taper down Propanolol GRADUALLY... I tapered around 1 mg every week at first. Then when I gave my brain 2 weeks (like the doctor told me to), I stopped having withdrawals. It takes your brain 10 to 14 days maximum to 're-adjust' to its own natural chemicals. Take care. Melody

• Posted

Hi I was wondering if u could help me I took one 80mg slow release of propranolol yesterday for the first time and didn't like the side effects it gave me so I haven't taken one today is it ok to stop if I've only taken the one? Thank you

• Posted

This is confusing as I have read the other replies you have received. My doctor told me to take these only when I need to. As in take them over a stressful period and stop when you feel less stressed. He also told me that I could take up to 40mg three times a day if I needed to. I managed on 10mg x 3 daily. I really was suffering with the stress, I couldn't work and had moved back in with my parents, I'm 39 with children. This dosage worked for me and after two weeks I moved back home. about a month of continuous 10mg three times a day I went back to the doctor who said. Do not take another until the anxiety returns to the point I need to take one. No withdrawals and although the anxiety has come back a little from time to time I've resisted taking the tablet. I find it very reassuring that the tablets are there if I need them but I have been told it's perfectly ok to take for a period, then not take, then take again if needed. As and when so to speak. One day but not the next, for as long as I feel the need to take them then stop. My doctirs is a group practice and I have seen probably five doctors about my stress anxiety and these tablets. They all said the same. Hope this is helpful any replies from anyone more than welcome. I would like to hear from others who take them as and when needed.

• Posted

I was told by my doctor to just stop taking it and I have been on it for years. I have had a bit f anxiety with it but I expected that but otherwise I am ok. I was originally taking it for anxiety, which is being medicated with Wellbutrin and Lexapro now, so he said knock one of my list and Propananol was number one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.