STOPPING VALIUM COLD TURKEY. ANY ADVICE PLEASE?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I'm having to stop taking valium cold turkey, as my psych has not mailed me a script for it. I've been waiting 2 weeks, rang her office a few times, but still no script in the mail. She did this to me on another occasion too. I have been weaning off this and was down to 3 and a half 5mg tabs per day, from 4. Luckily, I'd been taking less than she prescribed while tapering or I'd have none at all in the last 2 weeks. It's now Saturday and I have none left. I had to also quit zopiclone ct for the same reason. She did not mail me my script. They were both well and truly due! Went through excruciating, agonizingly intense withdrawals, with 6 sleepless nights, when I stopped the zopiclone. Got through it, with much prayer, and received great comfort and the strength to cope with that. Now, this has happened to me. I don't know why she didn't mail me my script and will be ringing her up 1st thing Monday morning. I am cancelling my next appt with her. I am done with her. She told me zopiclone is non-addictive. I trusted her. That was nearly a year ago. Have since researched it, printed out the latest research that show just how HIGHLY ADDICTIVE it ks. Gave it to her at my last appt. She actually had a quick look at it, kept it, but said she's never had any other of her patients complain or say they had withdrawal symptoms when they stopped taking it. Well I said I did. Anyway, that's not my question here now. I have already been experiencing severe anxiety, nausea, shakiness, sweats, all that comes when in withdrawal, as I sure know the symptoms by now, having experienced it before, because of cutting down too fast. Now with none left, I'm very frightened! I've done some research, found a link to click on to take me to Professor Ashton's weaning off valium plan. Everything I've read, says it is very dangerous to suddenly stop taking valium (diazepam). I'm trying not to panic. I'm praying constantly, as I have a great faith in the power of the Lord, as He certainly came through for me when stopping zopiclone. I'm asking if anyone has had to go through the withdrawal symptoms of coming off valium, their advice, support and encouragement and what can I do that may be of help in easing this painful withdrawal period? In the past 4 days, I've been taking only 1, splitting it into quarters, but still suffering rather badly. I will gladly suffer longer, if necessary, to finally be free of this horrific addiction, where it was no longer working for me anyway. I have been addicted to it for 3 years this time round. I'd stopped needing it 4 yrs ago, after being addicted to it for about 20 yrs. Stupidly went back on it for another medical problem, not anxiety. (Long story). Got addicted again, when I should have known better, but...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

THANK YOU!

6 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello, Christine! I also am a very strong believer in the Lord Jesus Christ! I have a son who is addicted to Some nasty Valium type medication that he got over the internet. He has yet to find a doctor that will treat him by prescribing Valium and tapering him. They want him to go into a rehab. He has to work and help care for his son while his wife works. My son was delivered from idolizing mj now he has this problem. He’s also a believer and wants to be free from all drugs. (Me as well! 🙏🏻wink. Do you live in the UK? We are in the states so...he is on Medicaid and he doesn’t have many options.  We are praying for answers. 

• Posted

I'm on these things too, but I must pass on the work of Professor Heather Ashton regarding very detailed study and withdrawal regimes - it is indeed confirmed abrupt cessation is highly dangerous.

The web site is https://benzo.org.uk/ - from there at the top of the page go to the link The Ashton Manual.

This is indented for medical professionals and doctors who may not had access to this resource of decades of research and may be very happy indeed for a source and medical guide to help you and others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.