Stopping Vanlafaxine cold turkey from 150mg - day 3

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm looking to see if anyone has stopped Venlafaxine cold turkey from 150mg.

I was on 450mg for 2 years and Pit on 30kgs. As much as the medication helped me mentally it crushed me physically. I decided I wanted off. I cut back 1 table, so was down to 300mg for three weeks. I had bad flu like symptoms and wanted to sleep all week. It was bearable so I then cut back another tablet and was down to 150mg. Same thing, I could handle it so two weeks later I stopped cold turkey. I'm now on day 3 cold turkey and feel like I'm on my death bead. I have had the worst headache ever and feel like I'm on my death bed. I am tempted to take a tablet but couldn't bare to go through this again.

Any idea when I will start to feel better? I'm taking Advil, fish oil tablets 1500mg and am drinking lots of water.

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Can someone please help me. I'm 17 and I've only been on Effexor for 5-6 months topping at 150 mg daily. About four days ago I quit cold turkey. I'm miserable and the only light I'm seeing at the end of the tunnel is a train. The brain zaps and nausea and sweating are the worst right now. Every time I move my eyes everything shifts in slow motion. I'm having severe diarrhea. And I can't stop sweating. It's unbearable. I just want support and for someone to tell me I'm ok. I hope someone replies.

• Posted

Hey hun, Im 37 and day 2 of cold turkey off venlor 150mg... havnt had the diarrhoea or nausia as yet, hoping I skip all that haha... babe im sure you are just going through normal DTs but please go see the doc just to make sure! I have severe brain zaps and just cant stop crying!!!!! I feel as if i am in a bubble that has somehow beaten the laws of time and keeping me in slow motion half the time... Husband is being a real ass so ive literally just locked myself in my room to go through whatever is coming my way without anyone in the family getting hurt in the crossfire! If you read moat of the replies to this thread your symptoms sound pritty much spot on what to expect when going cold turkey! Ive been on Venlor for about 10 yrs now, and im over it!!!!!!
    • Posted

YOURE GOING TO BE OK I PROMISE. I'm serious. The first week is the hardest. After that you're golden. Everything seems impossible and terrible and I know it's hard. I felt the same. But here I am 6 months later shining brighter than ever. And oh will too. Please try omega 3 capsules. I cannot brag enough on how much the helped me. Watch tons of movies, drink soup, omega 3, frequent cooling showers or baths, it gets so much better just keep going until it does. Count down the days. Both my mom and I have been through this. I was only on it for over half a year. She was on it for yearsssssssss. Both took about a week to recover. You're going to be so great after this week. You'll feel human again I promise. It's all worth it.

• Posted

Hello

I came off venaflaxine 5 days ago

Cold turkey

Was on 150mgs for last four years

I have had

Vivid nightmares

Sweating

Dizzy feelings

Zapping in my head

Crying

Viomiting

Toilet problems

Basically how are you !

Does it get better?

I know I feel very low as I expected that but

I do not want to go back on this medication

I have done this independently as I have no trust in my doctor

I am sorry to be so personal but do you know how much longer I have of this please ?

My doctor never told me how awful these pills were I blame myself as I should have checked but was not in a good place at the time

Any advice

Thank you Ann

• Posted

Only on day 2 so cant offer much advice, but just wanted to say I completely agree with this drug being so awful! Anyone else felt like life had no more highs??? Just this dull straight line of existing.... not even living.....
    • Posted

Hi Binibob...how are you today? Felt so sad reading your post. Hope today is a better day for you .
  • Posted

I've recently come down to 37.5 Ven and feeling awful. Huge headaches, just want to sleep, feverishness, and so angry. I'm snapping at everything. I was told to reduce to 37.5 for 5 days after a year of 300 msg of ven and then stop. I'm in hell. I had to cancel all work last week and gave in today. Just taken another 37.5 about 15 mins ago, and feeling better already. I can't do this. I have read everybody's reply to withdrawing from this drug and I'm terrified now. It's got to be the worst drug I have ever come off, but you seem to be doing well for someone who has gone cold turkey. I'm not that brave. I hope you continue to,do ok. I don't have an answer for you tho as everybody is different ....just look after yourself. Julia 

• Posted

I can't even believe it's been 6 months since I got off the meds. After a week it gets better I promise. I know it seems impossible. My soothers were omega 3 capsules and taking a few baths daily to help with the crazy sweating. But the omegas were the biggest help. They made me feel 99% better. It's worth it. The fight is worth it. You'll feel human again. Soon. I promise you just have to stay strong and fight the good fight. Cheesy I know. But do this for yourself. You'll feel great after! It'll take about to get back into your normal emotions so explain to those who are around you what's going on to whatever depth you like. People are kind, they'll understand. I've never felt better. One week. I promise and you'll be at the pot of gold in the other side of the rainbow.

• Posted

Thank you Katie for your reply. I'm feeling a little better, had to take a 37.5 ven to feel better and then was craving a pasta meal. No wonder people's weight are all over the place. And I have my 3 dogs to help me through.

im very grateful you responded so quick. Was beginning to feel desperate. I had no idea this drug was so hard to stop. I'm also on Bupropion..highest dose. Going up on one and coming down off another. I just want this to be all over, and feel better again. 

• Posted

Try omega 3 capsules! They're such a blessing honestly! My pup helped me a lot too. Along with over the counter sleeping pills so I could actually sleep. You're going to be ok. ??

• Posted

Morning Katie, I hope you are well. I had a good sleep, really deep. Must have been all the crying, I'm going back to Gp tomorrow as I'm struggling. I feel very heady today, but definitely better. I got the dosage wrong. The Ven was actually a 75mg and the directions were to take 75for 7 days and then stop!! But after reading loads of others discussions, many drop down to 37.5, some lower than this, trying to stop from 75mg is not really a good idea for me anyway. So I took a 75 and not what I thought was 37.5, but was in so much pain, I didn't read it properly. So, making it a priority to see Gp in the morning. 

• Posted

I hope all is well. I think we're in different time zones, as I just work up haha. I would've weaned off, but I knew the final drop from 37.5 to nothing would feel the same... I didn't want to drag it on anymore than it needed to be. Honestly, if you can get omega 3 capsules. They're such a reliever. I didn't believe it until I took one. Then I wouldn't leave the house without the bottle. You'll overcome this I promise.

• Posted

I'm in the UK..where are you? I feel nearly normal again, sad that a tablet makes me feel that normal.

• Posted

Looking for some advice

I've been taking Venlafaxine (Effexor)for over 20 yrs now. I started on 600mg for the first 5 years then dropped down to 300mg.

I've recently gone back up to 450mg as i had a breakdown at work.

My problem is i have no income and my savings have gone on the morgage etc.

I can't afford to continue my meds doea anyone know a safe way to go cold turkey from this dose?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.